History Scrapbooks - Clippings from the Rebellion of 1798

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2005
      Today I am starting a new feature at "Ireland Old News". Since I like
      scrapbooking and I also love old newspapers the two will kind of go hand in hand
      and so be called "History Scrapbooks". Hopefully I will tell the story of some
      major historical events in Ireland through various old newspaper clippings. The
      first one that I will be presenting will be the Rebellion of 1798. For the next
      couple of weeks I will periodically post newspaper items relating to the
      rebellion of 1798. If anybody else has any items to offer up on the 1798
      Rebellion I would certainly be interested in seeing those posted also!

      And so..let the story begin...

      History Scrapbooks - "Rebellion of 1798"

      The Gazette of the United States
      May 12, 1798

      Extract of a letter from a gentleman in New York, who arrived from Ireland in
      the Chesapeake.
      "While we were at Cork, a conspiracy was discovered of great magnitude, Lord
      Edward Fitzgerald, counsellors M'Neil , Ewett and Sampson, &c. were found in the
      act of sitting as the DIRECTORY OF IRELAND, with all the commissions for the
      Navy and Army signed and disposed of, but a week before St. Patrick's day, the
      day fixed on for a general massacre. Fitzgerald and Sampson escaped, through one
      side of the coach, while the officers were entering at the other. They will,
      however, it is not doubted, be apprehended. The others were secured. Nothing
      further had transpired when we came off."
      The above intended business of massacre, is called in the Aurora of this
      morning, "a general rising of the people."

      Greenleaf's New York Journal and Patriotic Register
      May 19, 1798

      Extract from the Freeman's Journal of the 13th instant.
      "Yesterday at eleven o'clock, one of his majesty's messengers, attended by a
      civil and military power, proceeded to the house of Mr. Oliver Bond, in
      Bridge-street, upon an information which had been received by Government, that
      the Provincial Committee of the United Irishmen of Leinster were to assemble
      there for the purpose of treason.
      "A committee of fourteen delegates were found sitting, and immediately taken
      into custody; and many material papers, containing proofs of a serious nature
      were found upon them. Mr. Bond was not in the room of the meeting, but papers
      affecting him are said to have been found in his pocket. We have not yet
      received a list of the delegates, nor any particulars of their examination.
      "At the same time we understand, Dr. M'Nevin was apprehended at his lodgings
      near the Four Courts; and Counsellor Emmett in Stephen's green, John Sweetman in
      Francis street, and Henry Jackson and Son in Church street. Warrants are also
      said to have been issued for apprehending Richard M'Cormick, Counsellor Samson,
      and Lord Edward Fitzgerald. Lord Edward Fitzgerald. Lord Edward was missed by
      the person who had the warrant against him, tho' he appeared in many parts of
      the town - the others are not discovered.
      "The murder of Mr. Buckley, a gentleman residing in the neighbourhood of
      Naas, adds one more to the horrid assassinations which disgrace this country."
      The above information is confirmed by private letters, except in the
      instance of Counsellor Emmet, who has fled; and so has Counsellor Sampson and
      Lord Edward Fitzgerald.
      The following extract of a private letter gives some further interesting
      particulars:
      "We have been in great dismay and consternation during the last 24 hours.
      Yesterday a party of military searched Leinster house for Lord Edward
      Fitzgerald, who had been walking in the streets at his cafe only a short time
      before; but the search was in vain as he made his escape. While the military
      were searching Leinster house, Oliver Bond, and 16 others, were taken up as they
      were sitting in council and were conducted under a strong guard to the castle.
      As the lord chancellor was returning from thence to his carriage, which was in
      the street, the mob outside who were numerous, closed round him so as to prevent
      his passing, on which one of the attendants requested him to step into a shop,
      till the crowd was dispersed. This he refused to do, and putting his hands into
      his pockets, he drew out a pistol from each and holding them in his hands,
      declared that he would shoot the man that obstructed his passage. On this the
      mob gave way, and opened to the right and left, leaving him room to pass to his
      carriage which he did without further obstruction. About five o'clock his
      lordship walked through the streets alone, shewing a preference of mind and a
      degree of courage which has always characterized him.
      "Every day brings further accounts of new murders; and the report has been
      very general here that St. Patrick's day was marked for the destruction of the
      well affected, and of every person immediately connected with government. The
      yeomanry corps had charge of this city, while the regulars were in search of the
      conspirators. But several persons have escaped, and it is feared that many
      papers that would have thrown a light on the subject have been destroyed. Those
      who are taken up have also been lodged some at Kilmainham gaol, and others at
      the Custom-house.
      "I am happy to say that Sir Henry Mannix, who was reported to be dead, is
      recovered and likely to do well.
      "It is said that lord Fitzgerald escaped by jumping out of a window, and
      that he was seen to take the road to Manawar; but it is not thought that he can
      escape from the kingdom."
      On the receipt of the above advices, a council was summoned at lord
      Grenville's office, which sat four hour in the evenings; and yesterday when the
      service of the chapel royal was over a council of the cabinet ministers was held
      on the affairs of Ireland, at which the duke of Portland, earls of Chatham,
      Spencer, and Westmoreland, the lord Chancellor and Mr. Windham attended. The
      deliberations (which had been previously discussed the preceding night at lord
      Grenville's office) continued about 20 minutes, after which the duke of Portland
      and lord Chancellor had a conference with the king till four o'clock; and in
      the evening Mr. Hyde the messenger, was sent back to Dublin Castle, with orders
      to use all possible expedition.
      The following circumstances relative to the news from Ireland are sent to us
      by a correspondent.
      The advices are of a very serious and alarming nature, and contain an
      account of the discovery of a most horrid plot to sacrifice the kingdom to the
      views of the French republic.
      "In consequence of the evidence which has been produced from papers found in
      the possession of the person now in custody in this country, by which were also
      implicated many persons in Ireland, government thought it adviseable to direct
      their apprehension.
      Warrants were accordingly issued, and the house of Mr. Bond searched, where
      sixteen persons were apprehended and their papers seized. Lord Edward Fitzgerald
      was in the house at the time, but there being no warrant for his apprehension,
      he could not then be taken into custody, and therefore escaped.
      The papers seized are said to be of a most treasonable nature, no less than
      to give up the country to the French.- The day fixed upon was Saturday last, the
      anniversary of St. Patrick, which being kept as a festival, it was imagined that
      advantage could be taken of the inebriety of the people; and an attempt was made
      to seize all the principal officers of the government.
      It was expected that the French would have a force ready to co-operate with
      the Irish rebels, and thus decided the revolution by a coup de mein.
      Mr. Pyle and Mr. Major arrived in town yesterday morning from Ireland, with
      further dispatches. Lord Edward Fitzgerald had not been taken when they left
      Ireland.
      It was last night currently reported that the kingdom of Ireland was put
      under martial law.

      (to be continued)

    • Carol V
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2005
        Cathy,

        This is terriic of you to take the time to help educate all of us. I
        greatly enjoy the articles you post.

        Carol Veio
        Searching Michael John Burke (M. J.) and his ancestral line in Ireland and
        his wife, Katharine Martin's line.

        From: "Cathy Joynt Labath" <labaths@...>
        To: "Ireland List" <ireland-l@...>,"oldnews ireland"
        <irelandoldnews@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [IrelandOldNews] History Scrapbooks - Clippings from the Rebellion
        of 1798

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2005
          This isn't specifically about the 1798 rebellion- it is about the Act of
          Union in 1800 - however it has some newspapers which cover those years priot
          to 1800 eg Londonderry Journal 1797.

          http://www.actofunion.ac.uk/
          Rachel