!! Connaught Journal; Aug 30, 1824 "Obit of Rev. Thomas Tierney, O.S.A."

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      GALWAY, MONDAY, AUGUST 30, 1824

      THE REV. THOMAS TIERNEY, O.S.A.
      This reverend and inestimable character terminated his career of virtue on
      the morning of Friday last, at Cregg, the seat of Francis Blake, Esq. In
      recording the loss of such an individual, we discharge a reluctant duty, and
      feel obliged to depart from the line of our ordinary obituaries to lament the
      unexpected death of an Ecclesiastic, the element of whose character were of so
      pure and perfect a composition, that we are at a loss which to admire in him
      most, his meekness and urbanity as a Gentleman - his talents and information as
      a Man, or his peculiarly zealous and conflicting conduct as a Minister of peace.
      It seemed the very bent and study of his life to administer the truths and the
      consolations of his Religion, through the most gentle and agreeable channel -
      and while his station called upon him to take back from the lap of sin the
      unerring child of mortality, he never forgot to convey the strictures of virtue
      through the impressive medium of a sweet and eloquent advice. Mr. Tierney at an
      early period became a member of the Augustinian Order, and has ever since been
      an inhabitant of this place, if, indeed, we except the many interruptions his
      residence received from the hospitality and friendship of the Gentry of the
      County of Galway, to whom his liberal and engaging manners endeared him. His
      remains were accompanied to the grave by an immense assemblage, composed of all
      classes without any religious distinction and the Roman Catholics of the 1st
      Royal Veteran Battalion marched in the procession under the command of Major
      Faucet.