THE TUAM HERALD, TUAM, CO GALWAY SATURDAY, JULY 3, 1909

  • JPMTCC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2005
      THE TUAM HERALD, TUAM, CO GALWAY

      SATURDAY, JULY 3, 1909
      ----------
      Great Western Railway
      The New
      Rosslare & Fishguard
      Route to and From
      England

      G.W.R. Turbine Steamer "St. Patrick"
      Magnificently appointed turbine steamers
      Sea passage 2 ¾ Hours

      Tuam dep. --------- 4:10 p.m. London dep. 8.45 a.m. 8.45
      p.m.
      Cardiff arr. 7.0 p.m. 6.9 a.m. Cardiff dep. 11.40A.M. 11.40
      P.M.
      London arr. 9.55 a.m 9.5 p.m. Tuam arr. --------
      1.53 p.m. .

      Full particulars upon application to Mr. E J O'B Croker, or Mr W E Williams,
      5 Lower Sackville Street, Dublin; Mr A W Parks, Adelphi Wharf, Waterford; Mr A
      G Dodd, 95 Patrick Street, Cork; Mr J A O'Kelly, 123 George Street, Limerick;
      Mr W J Francis, Rose Inn Street, Kilkenny; Mr R O'Toole, 10 Commercial Quay,
      Wexford; Mr Costello, Rosslare Harbour; or to Mr J Morris, Superintendent of
      the Line, Paddington Station, London, W.

      James C. INGLIS, General Manager
      ----------

      PITHY PARS. --- Personal, Parochial Provincial and Particular
      ----------
      Lord and Lady Clonbrock, the Earl of Westmeath, and Lord Killanin, attended
      Lord Lansdowne's reception on the King's Birthday on Thursday.
      ----------
      At the Blackrock College Sports on Tuesday, a Tuam boy, H St. J. Blake,
      youngest son of Mrs Charles Blake, of the Bridge House, won several first class
      distinctions. He competed successfully in the high jump, the handball
      tournament, and got the silver medal in the lawn tennis competition.
      ----------
      We understand that Dr G H Pethybridge the eminent and erudite Professor of
      the Royal College of Science, Dublin, has just commenced, in Clifden and the
      West of Ireland, some important investigations into different diseases that
      affect the potato crop.
      ----------
      We understand some otter hounds are about to visit the classic grounds of
      Galway, also the rivers thereof, the object in view being the pursuit of the wily
      otter. We are glad of it - that is to say we are glad to hear it. There is
      no dearth of otters in Galway. Anyway the visitors will be welcome, and they
      have good sport.
      ----------
      The Mayfly has been well "up" this summer in most of the Irish districts
      where the Mayfly or greendrake is used. Sport with the Mayfly has been specially
      good in the Oughterard locality where handsome baskets of large trout have
      been got. The Galway river shows up well to. Large quantities of trout have
      lately been sent from that district and neighbourhood to the English market, and
      we are pleased to be able to say that all the fish were caught by fair angling
      means and not netted or caught by "ottering." We learn that in one fortnight
      882 lbs of trout fairly caught were sent to England and that this made up a
      total of 4 ½ tons for a period extending a little over four months. This looks
      healthy indeed and is pleasant reading. Another large pike was got at
      Oughterard lately too by a local angler trolling. It measured forty-five inches
      from snout to end of tail, was twenty-four inches in girth and weighed
      thirty-four pounds. Good luck Oughterard, go on and prosper Oughterard !
      ----------
      Two distinguished Mayo men at present hold high rank in Maynooth College.
      We refer to Very T P Gilmartin, D D, who is Vice-President of the College, and
      Very Rev P Morrisroe, D D, who is Hon Treasurer of the Union. The former is a
      native of Castlebar, and the latter of Charlestown.
      ----------
      At the King's Scholarship Examination held at Tuam during Easter week, Miss M
      J Kelly, daughter of Mrs Kelly, Manulla N S, took a high place in the first
      division, thereby entitling her to a place, at her choice of two Training
      Colleges, for the coming session. This is very creditable indeed, as the
      competition was so very keen, and the programme very difficult.
      ----------
      Rev M Bourke, who has been promoted to the pastoral charges of Turlough
      parish, entered upon his new duties, and received a cordial welcome from his
      parishioners, amongst whom he had laboured as curate for many years, and on this
      account his Grace, the Archbishop did not deem it necessary to have any Induction
      ceremony. Arrangements are being made for the presentation to Father Bourke
      of an illuminated address, and a substantial gift, but the people, in their
      perseverance, decided to show some token of the high regard and esteem in which
      they hold him.
      ----------
      Rev W J M'Evilly (?), who has been translated from Keelogues to Turlough, has
      gone to reside in his new house.
      ----------
      Dr Robert Henry Kirwan, who has been for some time Assistant Medical Officer
      at Castlebar District Asylum, has received an important appointment in Leeds
      Asylum. Since he was appointed to the position of assistant at the Castlebar
      Asylum, on the well-deserved promotion of Dr F C Ellison to the Resident
      Medical Superintendentship, he gained the entire confidence of the Committee, and
      proved himself to be a conscientious and hard working official, the keen
      interest he took in the welfare of the poor insane won for him the gratitude of those
      afflicted creatures who will lose in him a kind friend. We wish Dr Kirwan
      success in his new sphere. Dr. Kirwan is a Dunmore man, second son of Thomas
      Kirwan, Esq, of Merton House, Dunmore, and of Miss ffrench Mullen, daughter of
      the late Lawrence Mullen, Esq, of Ardmullen, Tuam.
      Amongst those ordained to priesthood by his Grace the Archbishop of Dublin,
      at Maynooth on Sunday, was Rev John Heneghan, son of Mr Walter Heneghan,
      Louisburgh. We tender Father Heneghan and his respected parents our hearty
      congratulations.