!! Ballina Chronicle; Feb 27, 1850 "Miscellaneous News"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 3:23 PM
      Wednesday, February 27, 1850

      Monday an inquest was held in the school house of Clendellae church,
      Fermoy, on the body of the Rev. Robert Scott, who since the night of the 13th
      ult had been missing. On Saturday last the body was found floating in the water,
      and presented a number of wounds and contusions. On his person were found a
      bible, prayer and hymn book, a silver pencil case, and a small card with the
      following lines, as if the unfortunate gentleman had a presentment of his end:
      "So teach us to number our days, that we may supply our hearts unto
      wisdom."
      "Great God! on what a slender thread
      Hang everlasting things:
      The eternal state of all the dead
      Upon life's feeble strings.
      Waken, O Lord, our drowsy sense,
      To walk this dangerous road,
      And if our souls be hurried hence,
      May they be found with God."

      The Colonial Emigration Commissioners intend to relieve the Irish
      workhouses this year of a large number of young females.

      On Wednesday night the parish Church of Ballinaclough, county Tipperary,
      was robbed of the pulpit cloth and cushions.

      The aggregate amount due to the firm of J.N. Russell & Sons, of Limerick,
      for supplies to union workhouses is as much as £57,000.

      The peasantry of the county Limerick, like their neighbours of Clare and
      Kerry, are making a vigorous effort to prepare the ground for seed potatoes,
      hoping in despite of past failures, for the reward of their labour by increased
      produce. They have commenced operation thus early in the year, intending to have
      the deed down in March.

      George Tuthill, Esq., Faha, on Thursday was presented by his gardener with
      a dish of new potatoes, very fine, and grown in the open air, never having been
      under glass. They are of the species called "Early Man's."

      Dr. O'Connor of Cahirsiveen, reports 65 cases of cholera in that union, of
      which 30 proved fatal. Dr. Bentley also reports the epidemic at Valentia.

      A young man named Boyle, servant to the Rev. Mr. Henry, P.P., is committed
      to Roscommon gaol for the murder of Patrick Hall.