!! Connaught Journal; Aug 23, 1824 "Execution of Cotter"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Galway, Monday, August 23, 1824

      EXECUTION OF COTTER FOR THE MURDER OF MR BRERETON

      A Gentleman who was present at the execution of this unfortunate man, on
      last Monday, has favoured us with an account of the arrangements on the
      occasion - the wretched convict, on this occasion, was, we are happy to say,
      very penitent.- The exhortation of the Rev. Mr. Mahony, one of the curates of
      Tralee, had succeeded in bringing him to a sense of his enormity, and of the
      awful change he was about to enter into; he evinced a good deal of firmness and
      acknowledged the justice of his sentence, and forgave his prosecutors.- He was
      escorted in a chaise to the place of execution by the horse and foot police, and
      two companies of infantry. This execution took place in a field near the Cross
      of Sinnagh, nine miles distant from Killarney, and very near the scene where the
      unfortunate Mr. Brerton was found murdered. In consequence of the novelty of an
      execution in that part of the country, as well as the extensive acquaintance
      which Cotter had in the place, immense crowds were attracted to the spot, but
      notwithstanding the arrangements were gone through without the slightest
      interruption.- The cavalcade arrived at the spot about two o'clock on Monday.
      Much time was consumed in erecting the gallows, during which interval he
      remained in the chaise deeply engaged in prayer. After a lapse of three quarters
      of an hour, the necessary preparations being complete, he descended from the
      chaise, and walked from thence to the foot of the gallows where he knelt, and
      having said a few prayers he was about to mount the scaffold when it was
      discovered that his arms were not properly tied, in humanity to the unfortunate
      man, the defect was remedied, and he pointed to the executioner in which way to
      adjust the cord. On reaching the drop, and kneeling, he asked leave to address
      the assemblage and spoke as follows:
      "I beg leave to say a few words- I acknowledge the justice of my sentence;
      I forgive my prosecutors and my enemies and this man here (meaning the
      executioner) I call upon those assembled to abstain from nightly meetings; it
      was by attending at these that I am brought to this fate, and if others follow
      my example they will come to a like end. I beg the prayers of those present and
      may the Lord have mercy upon me!"
      Having stood up, the rope was finally adjusted, the drop fell, and in a few
      moments lie had left him, without even a struggle, on his fall there was no
      exclamation of horror, and the immense multitude fell simultaneously upon their
      knees, and offered up their prayers to the throne of God, for mercy upon the
      misguided man.