Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

The Tuam Herald, Mar 27, 1909, Tuam, Co Galway, # 3

Expand Messages
  • JPMTCC@aol.com
    The Tuam Herald, Saturday, March 27, 1909 Tuam, Co Galway ... THE CRAUGHWELL TRAGEDY Early on Sunday morning a large force of police under Mr. Leathan,
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2005
      The Tuam Herald, Saturday, March 27, 1909

      Tuam, Co Galway



      Early on Sunday morning a large force of police under Mr. Leathan, District
      Inspector R.I.C., arrested five men - farmers' sons - in the Craughwell, Co
      Galway district, in connection with the murder of Constable Martin Goldrick at
      Grinnoge, in that locality, on January 22nd. About a fortnight ago two of the
      men now in custody (Hynes and Dermody) were discharged after a detention of
      five weeks in Galway Jail.

      The re-arrests, coupled with the inclusion of other suspects, threw the
      entire neighbourhood into a condition of the most intense excitement. The names of
      the prisoners, who were brought to Athenry, are -
      James Cahill, Michael Dermody, Thomas Hynes, Michael Conway, Thomas

      Besides being charged with the murder of Goldrick, the prisoners are accused
      of wounding two emergencymen.

      County Inspector Smyth, since the fatal shooting affray, has been practically
      living in the Craughwell district, and a large force of police has of late
      been employed in the locality.

      The prisoners on Sunday morning were taken into the Athenry Constabulary
      barrack yard, and the two men from the town placed amongst them. By the morning
      train from Ballingasloe there had arrived in Athenry a labourer in charge of a
      large escort of police. This man was conducted to the barrack yard, and
      confronted with the group of five prisoners and the tow local men. Having examined
      all of these, he placed his hand on two of them. One of the men so
      identified is said to have got angry, and there was a scene of much excitement.
      Shortly after the other prisoners were released, and two retained in custody. The la
      tter are: - Thomas Hynes and Michael Dermody.

      In a short time the two, both handcuffed, were brought in charge of a large
      body of police to the railway station and conveyed to Galway along with the man
      who had identified them. There the accused were brought before Mr. A. C.
      Newell, R. M., Ballinasloe, and, after the production of some startling evidence
      were remanded in custody.


      When Hynes and Dermody were placed in the dock in Galway Courthouse, charged
      with the murder of Constable Goldrick, the chamber became quickly thronged
      with spectators.

      Mr. J. W. Blake, Crown Solicitor, at once placed the man who had identified
      them in the witness chair. Then it became known that his name is Bartley

      The Crown Solicitor read a deposition made by Naughton on March 20th before
      Mr. Newell, R. M. In this he stated that he is a labourer who works from place
      to place where he got jobs. On the night before the Craughwell murder, he
      said, he slept in Athenry, in Chapel street, leaving the town early next morning
      without breakfasting, and without obtaining a drink, which he tried to get,
      as the publichouses were not then opened.

      "As I came close to the railway bridge near Craughwell," the deposition
      proceeded, "I heard some shots. I saw a man running to the bridge from the
      Craughwell side. The man went back again towards Craughwell; he did not come as far
      as me.

      "I looked into then crags where the bushes were on my right hand side. I saw
      a policeman there. He was running after three fellows. I did not see any
      gun with him. The three fellows had guns. When I saw the policeman he was a
      good bit from them. When he was very close to them the three men turned back.

      "One of them fired a shot, and I saw the policeman fall. After he fell I
      could not see him on the ground. There were bushes between me and him. The
      third man was walking on at this time.

      "The two men went about three or four yards towards the third man after the
      policeman fell, and then turned and shouted at me to wait for them. They were
      running towards me. I stayed at the bridge, and they ran up and came on to
      the road.

      "One of these men was bigger than the other. The big man pointed the rifle
      straight at my body and told me he would have my own life if I said anything.

      "I told him I would not, that I was the same as themselves. They then ran
      back the way they came, until they were about half way to where I saw the
      policeman fall. They charged the guns there, and two of them ran on to the place
      where I saw the policeman fall, and the big man straightened the gun down on the
      spot where I saw the policeman fall and let off another shot (sensation).

      "The two then ran away from the crags. When I first saw the policeman
      running after the three men I saw five other fellows running from the crags. They
      were a good bit away from me. I noticed the two men who came up to me had
      their faces blackened. The taller man, who presented a gun at me, was not as
      blackened as the other. I left the bridge after the last shot and went into

      Witness went on to say that he met two policemen cycling very fast on
      bicycles, and a man whom he knew by his face to be a blacksmith.

      The deposition went on to relate -
      "I was in Craughwell the evening the prisoners came out there. I saw a
      number of people coming out from the train together. Amongst them I saw the man
      who pointed the rifle at me the morning the policeman was shot. I heard people
      calling him by the name of Dermody."

      Witness proceeded to narrate that he again saw this man drinking on St.
      Patrick's Day, and was quite sure he was the man who had pointed the gun at him,
      and who went back and fired the shot at the place where the policeman lay.
      Naughton added that he had been in the militia, and knew the difference between a
      rifle and a revolver.

      The reading of the deposition having been completed, Naughton confirmed it.

      Asked by Mr. Blake if he saw the man in court who had pointed the rifle at
      him on the morning of the murder, Naughton turned to the dock and pointed out
      Dermody, saying it was he who had fired the second shot at the place where the
      policeman lay.

      Witness also identified Hynes as the man who came up to him with Dermody.
      Hynes had then a double-barrelled gun.
      The prisoners were asked if they had anything to say. Dermody replied in the
      negative, and Hynes that he would say nothing for the present.

      Both the accused were then removed to prison heavily guared.

      Jim McNamara
      British Isles Family History Society - USA, Newsletter Editor

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.