!! Ballina Chronicle; Feb 27, 1850 "Emigration"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      Wednesday, February 27, 1850

      EMIGRATION - During the last two days our quays have been quite alive with
      emigrants and their friends preparing to start for Liverpool, and thence to
      America. Yesterday (Friday) morning at 7 o'clock upwards of one hundred persons
      sailed - or rather steamed, - on board the William Penn, and at twelve o'clock
      about four hundred on board the Foyle, Liverpool steamers. Should this
      expatriation continue for some months longer, from the various other ports of
      Ireland, in the same ration as from this, our population will not only be
      decimated by "demiated" before the end of the present year. Such is the extent
      of emigration from this and the neighbouring counties that, we are credibly
      informed, we shall shortly have American liners trading between Waterford and
      New York. This would effectually put a stop to the dishonest practices pursued
      by fellows against the poor people who make Liverpool their starting point for
      the United States.--- Waterford Mail.