!! Ballina Chronicle; Feb 27, 1850 "Egan Fratricide at Ballyduff, King's Co"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2005
      Wednesday, February 27, 1850

      FATAL AFFRAY BETWEEN TWO BROTHERS.
      We have just received the following from our Ferbane correspondent: - "An
      event of a most tragical nature took place between two brothers named John and
      Patrick Egan, residing at Ballyduff, parish of Clonmacnoise, in this county, on
      Tuesday last. These unfortunate individuals have for some time past been engaged
      in a serious of petty altercations, arising out of conflicting claims, and
      jarring interests, which have but too often led to the worst species of agrarian
      crime; and which in the present instance has caused the fierce and unguarded
      collision which eventuated in a catastrophe no less dreadful than that of
      fratricide. The brothers Egan held a farm in copartnership, on the property of
      A.C. Maggenis, Esq., and on the day in question, John, the younger of the two,
      having proceeded to make a ditch, for the purpose of enclosing a strip of waste
      land as an addition to his garden at the rere of his house, his ill-fated
      brother, as it appears, opposed him in doing so- as there was no person present,
      the particulars of the conflicted between them remains a mystery- but the broken
      and bloody spade, and the bleeding gashes of the lifeless victim, upon whom they
      had been inflicted, bore their silent attestation to the appalling fact that the
      mark of Cain had been stamped upon another human brow; and that from the
      polluted soil of the earth the blood of a murdered brother was once more crying
      to heaven for vengeance. Both the murdered and the murderer were men in the
      prime of life, and their united, and now unprotected families amount to
      seventeen in number, thirteen of whom are children under twelve years of age;
      but by the reckless act of a moment, desolation and ruin have been entailed upon
      them all. The Egans were persons of spotless reputation, belonged to a rather
      comfortable class, and to all, except each other, were agreeable, obliging, and
      excellent neighbors. Yesterday an inquest was held on the body before B. Toy
      Midgley, Esq, coroner, when a verdict of wilful murder was returned by the jury.
      The coroner issued his warrant for the apprehension of the accused who has
      absconded.--King's County Chronicle.