!! Connaught Journal; Aug 16, 1824 "Galway Assizes"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2005
      Galway, Monday, August 16, 1824

      GALWAY ASSIZES
      Our Assizes terminated on Saturday last. The following is a list of the
      Convictions which took place: -

      COUNTY CONVICTIONS
      Luke Donohoe, for the murder of Bridget Mannion, a child eleven years old,
      to be hanged.
      There were eleven sentenced to transportation for various offences; and
      nineteen convicted for illicit distillation.

      TOWN CONVICTIONS
      Denis Kinneavy, for sheep-stealing, 7 years transportation.
      Michael Moran, for attempt to commit a rape on a child of nine years old,
      two years confinement and hard labour.
      Anne Keary and Margaret Browne, larceny, to be confined twelve months to
      hard labor.
      Mary Hynes, larceny, to be transported for seven years.
      Patrick Ryan, Michael Devine, and James Hamilton, sturdy vagrants, to be
      transported for seven years unless in three months they give bail in two
      sureties each in 2l.
      Basterel Burke, assault, to find bail to stand his trial at Sessions.
      John Reddington, shoemaker, combination, do., do.

      EXECUTION
      Luke Donohoe, an unfortunate criminal, found guilty of murder at our late
      Assizes, this day underwent the awful sentence of the law in front of the County
      Prison. He seemed perfectly resigned to his fate, but made no observations
      previous to his being launched into eternity.