!! Connaught Journal; Aug 9, 1824 "Misc News"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      Galway, Monday, August 9, 1824

      DROGHEDA, JULY 31 - We have heard that a horrible murder was committed on
      Friday, near Dundalk, on a servant of Mr. Henry's, of Ratheskin, who was
      employed to serve witness on tenants to pay their rents. It appears from the
      marks on the head and face, this foul deed was perpetrated by the prongs of a
      pitchfork and other deadly implements.

      Doctor Clarke and several other Independents were found guilty at the Ardee
      Sessions and sentenced to imprisonment for a riot, in which they assumed the
      title of the New Corporation of Dundalk.

      On Friday evening last, Lady Cremorne arrived at the beautiful seat of his
      Lordship, Dawson's Grove, near Coote-hill, from England after an absence of some
      years. On that occasion the tenantry vied with each other in testifying by
      bonfires and every kind of rejoicing, their respect to her Ladyship, and warm
      attachment to the Noble Family.

      Thursday a meeting of the Roman Catholic Clergymen of this Diocese was held
      in the Donegal-street Chapel, for the purpose of electing a Coadjutor and
      Successor to the present Bishop of Down and Connor. The Rev. Mr. Crolly and the
      Rev. Mr. McMullen were put in nomination, when the former gentleman was elected
      to this elevated state by a large majority. We believe the choice of the Rev.
      Gentleman to the high station of Bishop in the Roman Catholic Church will give
      general satisfaction. His conduct in Belfast has ever been marked by an ardent
      desire to conciliate his fellow townsmen, and to assist, on all occasions, in
      every work of benevolence and charity.--Whig.