!! Ballina Chronicle; Feb 13, 1850 "Mayo Items"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2005
      Wednesday, February 13, 1850

      On the night of last Wednesday a dwelling house, the property of Maria
      Fair, on the lands of Cartern, in the parish of Attymass, was malicously set on
      fire and reduced to ashes. The perpetrators of this outrage have not yet been
      discovered, nor can any cause be assigned for it.

      On Monday night a large quantity of barley and potatoes was stolen from the
      stores of the Right Rev. Dr. Feeny, Roman Catholic Bishop of this diocese. The
      depredators effected an entrance after having broken locks and wrenched off iron

      We were glad to find that the Rev. Arthur Moore had so far recovered from
      his late indisposition as to have been able to take part in the Divine service
      in the parish church on Sunday, on which occasion he delivered one of his
      usually instructive and impressive sermons, from the beautiful words of the
      Psalmist - "How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts! My soul longeth,
      yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart and my flesh crieth out
      for the living God."

      We are glad to find Mr. Healy and Mr. Shaw doing their duty. The removal of
      the many strolling beggars which they have affected is very gratifying, and we
      are confident their exertions will be untiring until the last of them is

      The usual weekly meeting of the Guardians of this union was held on
      Saturday, at which the Chairman (Colonel Gore), Mr. T. Jones, Mr. Symes, Mr.
      Bredin, Mr. A. Knox, Mr. Pratt, Mr. Crofton, Mr. Gardiner, and Mr. Joynt
      attended. There was no business, beyond the usual routine, brought under
      consideration. The clerk was absent, being summoned to Dublin on the trial of
      Malley v. Gurney.

      THE STORM - On Tuesday last we were visited with a most tremendous storm,
      which continued with unabated fury till Wednesday morning. Several houses in
      town and neighbourhood were completely demolished. Several trees were blown
      down; exposed portions of the jail and poor house were stripped of slates and
      tiles, and considerable damage to property has been suffered. The wind still
      continues and is accompanied by severe showers of hail and rain. We have not
      experienced such boisterous and cold weather for several years past. On
      Wednesday morning, during the hurricane, whilst two fine boys, sons of Mr.
      Russell and Mr. Havelyn, were returning from school, and, whilst passing Mr.
      Clifford's house, the entire slates fell, crushing them beneath the ruins; and,
      when rescued from their fearful position, were found to have been severely
      injured, each having sustained fractures of the limbs, head, and serious other
      bruises. They were at once removed to the Mayo Infirmary, where they lie in a
      precarious state. With this exception, we have heard of no other accident. --
      Mayo Constitution.

      THE NEW SHERIFFS - We understand that Charles Mahon, Esq., is to be sworn
      in High Sheriff for this county during the ensuing week, and Patrick Glynn,
      Esq., solicitor, Sub-Sheriff. It is rumoured that Mayo assizes will take place
      about the 10th March. -- Mayo Constitution.