Re: [IrelandOldNews] !! Ballina Chronicle; Jan 30, 1850 "Convicts"

  • Susan Patterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2005
      And the convicts continued to be sent until the 1890s so that when I was a
      girl in the fifities there were former convicts still alive in the West.
      This is of interest as currently I am looking at the efforts of people in
      Tasmania to stop transportation in the 1840s and early 50s...
      Susan
      -----

      > BALLINA CHRONICLE
      > Ballina, Mayo, Ireland
      > Wednesday, January 30, 1850
      >
      > WHAT IS TO BE DONE WITH OUR CONVICTS?
      > (From the Daily News)
      > What is to be done with our convicts? When the doors of all our other
      > colonies were shut in their faces, it was believed that an asylum had been
      > opened to them at Swan River. But, no. The Western Australians have been
      thrown
      > into a fever of indignation on learning that their colony is to be made a
      penal
      > settlement.
      > We will not be accused by those who are in the habit of perusing our
      > columns, of lightly estimating the evil of a convict immigration, or of
      lacking
      > sympathy with a non-penal colony which resists any attempt to convert it
      into a
      > receptacle for convicts. But we must be allowed to have a laugh at the
      virtuous
      > indignation of the Western Australians.
      > In February, 1849, they petitioned the Home Government to make their
      colony
      > "a regular penal settlement." In November 1849, the Western Australians
      cannot
      > find words to express their indignation on learning that their colony has
      been
      > converted into a penal settlement. The reason is, that when they prayed
      the Home
      > Government to send them convicts, they also prayed them to endow it with
      the
      > "necessary government establishment and expenditure, the whole cost of the
      > transmission, maintenance, and superintendence of all such convicts as may
      be
      > transported hither being borne of course by the home Government."
      Ministers,
      > like the heathen diety of old, have
      > ______ "Granted half their prayer,
      > The other half dispersed in empty air."
      > The convicts have been, or are to be sent, but not the money.
      >
      > Cathy Joynt Labath
      > Ireland Old News
      > http://www.IrelandOldNews.com/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Susan Patterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2005
        Of course that is incorrect and it is old age aberration I hope !
        W A convicts stopped in 1868: can't begin to imagine what made me so
        convinced former convicts were still alive in the 1950s. I must have been
        thinking of the time of Federation, 1901.

        Apologies to all !
        Susan----