!! Connaught Journal; July 29, 1824 "Clare Items"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2005
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, July 29, 1824

      ENNIS, JULY 26.
      The following is the number of prisoners and their crimes, to be tried at
      our ensuing Assizes: - Murder, 19; aiding and assisting in murder, 3; burglary
      and conspiring to murder, 2; burglary and robbery, 5; highway robbery, 1;
      assault and robbery, 5; attempt at abduction, 3; rape, 8; arson, 2;
      horse-stealing, 3; cow-stealing, 6; pig-stealing, 4; sheep-stealing, 7; forgery,
      2; coining, 4; picking pockets, 1; taking money under false pretences, 4; idle
      and disorderly, 3; larceny, 1; illicit distillation, 6. -- Total 92.

      On Wednesday night, a large farm house on the lands of Dyon, near Crusheen,
      the property of Edward Galway, Esq. in which were several farming utensils, and
      other effects, was maliciously set fire to and consumed. This outrage is upon
      the Rock system, a tenant being lately dispossessed for non-payment of rent.