!! Ballina Chronicle; Jan 30, 1850 "Emigrate to Port Natal"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2005
      Wednesday, January 30, 1850

      EMIGRATION TO THE CAPE- PORT NATAL
      Respectable families who are not eligible for the government grant, can
      have 100 acres or more on a lease of 10 years, at a yearly rental of 1s. per
      acre, with the option of purchasing their allotments at any time during their
      lease. This land is of the richest quality, fit for the plough, being clear, and
      with ordinary culture, capable of producing wheat, barley, oats, beans, peas,
      Indian corn, potatoes, cotton, tobacco, sugar, coffee, arrow root, figs,
      pineapples, grapes, oranges, and all European fruits and vegetables.
      Oxen and milch cows may be purchased in fine condition, at £4 each in
      Natal. Sheep, from 4s. 6d. to 7s. 6d. according to the quality of the wool.
      Fowls 2s. per dozen. Indian corn is brought in by the natives in great abundance
      at 1s. per bushel and pigs thrive amazingly on this. The bay of Natal abounds
      with fish. The Mauritius is the market for exporting live stock, &c., where the
      fat cattle bring from £20 to £30 according to weight and quality.
      In addition to numerous testimonials on the subject of the capabilities,
      climate, and soil of Natal- the following extract is from a letter received by
      the agent for this colony, Mr. Young, Sun Court, Cornhill:-
      "Now with regard to Natal, the land, I may say, of my adoption, I cannot
      well say too much for it; it far exceeds my most sanguine anticipation, in the
      beauty of its scenery, the uninterrupted fertility of its soil and the salubrity
      of its climate; none of all these qualities can be too long dwelt upon, nor yet
      overdrawn. The surface of the country is generally undulating, in no place
      rising (excepting on the Drakenberg,) higher than 700 feet, and that in a few
      instances, and even in these, the hills are clothed to the very summit with the
      richest pasture you can imagine; the richness of it, indeed, is the only fault
      it has, as young cattle are apt to surfeit themselves on it at first; this
      fault, however, is soon corrected and is disappearing as the country becomes
      occupied. I have already travelled over a good deal of the soil in all
      directions, and in no one instance have I seen cause to change any opinion of
      the country. Of course some localities are more suitable for the cultivation of
      certain crops than others; for instance, as yet it is generally considered the
      vicinity of the sea or within parallel of 200 miles from it, it is most suitable
      for cotton, more especially, the finer staples of it. The native Natal
      Cottontree, as well as the American Upland, has been found to do well up the
      country. This new Colony has none of the great draw backs of the older colonies
      neither does it, in capability or internal resources, fall short of any of them.
      Natal is no in its infancy, and only requires to be better known, to induce many
      hundreds of our farmers, who have hard struggles at home, (in order to make both
      ends meet,) to come out. There are none of the frequent and periodical draughts
      here, with which both the old colony of the Cope, as well as all our Australian
      colonies are scourged.- During the summer and winter there is plenty of water
      for all purposes. Winter being the dry season here and also the best time for
      putting in root and pulse crops, it is found beneficial and necessary to
      irrigate the land, whilst the seed is germinating, for which there is at all
      times and abundant supply; and from this gently undulating character of the
      country it is an operation easily performed. Comparatively little advantage has,
      as yet, been taken of the natural capabilities of the soil; indeed I can
      scarcely say that any, unless we except the cultivators of cotton. All we are in
      want of here therefore, is labour and moderate capital; especially the farmer.
      Send us these and I am justified in predicting, that Natal, in a few short
      years, would become not only our most flourishing colony, but would also, on
      account of the suitableness of their soil and climate for the cultivation of
      cotton, become of immense importance to Britain; as in some measure, rendering
      her more independent of America, for that article. You have seen, of course, the
      reports already made on the Natal Cottons, by the Chambers of Commerce at
      Manchester and Liverpool, where were very favourable. After seeing a good deal
      of the country; I have at length fixed on a farm, about two hours ride from
      Pieter Maritzburg, lying upon the Umganie River, it is nearly 6,000 acres in
      extent, with much valuable wood on it, which can be floated down the Umganie to
      D'Urban, where there is always a ready sale for it at high prices. It now pays
      well to transport it thither by waggons, a distance 70 miles and sawn with a pit
      sawn. The place I have bought is very beautiful, and remarkably rich in pasture.
      It is situated at the conflex of the Umganie and Kaokloof rivers. The former
      forming its southern boundary down to the mouth of the Kaokloof, or as it is
      called in the Ordnance map, the Karhlons, from which point it runs direct to
      north. There is a pretty good house upon it, and a mill for grinding flour. I
      mean to commence operations immediately; we have good and pleasant neighbours
      around us. The Government upset price is 4s. per acre, a real good Government
      farm seldom fetches less in the neighbourhood that I speak of than 5s."
      Line of packets sailing on the 1st of each month from Gravesend. The rate
      of passage in the cabin is £39; intermediate is £15 15s.; steerage, £11.