!! Ballina Chronicle; Jan 30, 1850 "Lord Cloncurry recollections"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      Wednesday, January 30, 1850

      AN IRISH GENTLEMAN IN THE LAST CENTURY - My father, who was born about the
      termination of the first third of the eighteenth century, was one of the many
      Irish Roman Catholics who sought, in foreign countries, for liberty to enjoy
      those privileges of property and talent from which they were debarred in their
      native land. Very early in life he settled in France, upon a considerable estate
      which he purchased at Galville, near Rouen; and there my eldest sisters were
      born. He was not long, however, in finding out that they did not order things
      much better in France than in Ireland; and that although nominally equal to his
      neighbors in religious estate, the church made invidious distinctions in the
      distributions of her honours among the faithful. My father, probably having
      previously experienced more substantial annoyances, was finally so nettled at
      the partiality shown by the cure, in administering the honour of the censer to a
      neighbouring seigneur, whim he though to have no right to be fumigated before
      himself, that he sold his estate and returned to Ireland, where he conformed to
      Protestantism, and became thereby qualified to hold a territorial stake in the
      country. So far the French priest's nationality was a fortunate matter for my
      father and his descendants. He found a good market for his chateau and lands,
      the ownership of which, fifteen years later, would in all probability have cost
      him his head; and he made a good investment of the proceeds to his native
      country. His first possession in Ireland was the estate and borough of
      Rathcormac, in the county Cork; but this he subsequently sold to the first Lord
      Riversdale, and bought the estates in Limerick, Kildare, and Dublin, which still
      remain in the family. To the active mind of my father, however, neither the
      duties nor the rights of landed property afforded sufficient occupation, and he
      accordingly entered, to a large extent to a large extent, and with considerable
      success, into the banking and woollen trades. He also became a member of the
      Irish House of Commons, was created a baronet in 1776, and removed to the House
      of Peers in 1789. This short sketch of may father's career, practical commentary
      upon the position of the Irish nation during the latter half of the last
      century. -- Lord Cloncurry's Personal Recollections.