Memorials to the Dead

  • E Macklin
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
      Good evening Syl:

      In order to promote "the lets get up and go" on this little item of some
      180++ Journals and the effort of others who have used the Journals as a
      guide to their own area of special interest, including Galway and Cork and
      Wicklow, including the efforts of the Cantwells, both father and son, [and J
      S Clarke for that matter] these Journals represent the last great frontier
      of Irish genealogy written in some form of stone, marble and concrete. Being
      illegible to the human eye is the last excuse one would tolerate in this day
      of electro photo enhancement and digital enhancement. Even older stones that
      have been retrieved from blow ground. A great many stones have had their
      etchings successfully retrieved over the years. If we can do it in Egypt,
      and the great standing stones of the Vikings then a few stones a couple of
      hundred years old is "a piece of cake". So we'll hear no more of this
      nonsense from others especially in regards to stones cut since the 1800's
      Having said that, and knowing that Eneclann is working on the data base
      with Trinity Archives [probably one of the few complete Journal sets] is all
      we need to know. Searching via cemeteries is a total waste of time in this
      day and age. Eneclann [one clan] has assured our Foundation that once
      completed that is will be searchable by surname and will take another year
      of so.
      My recommendation is to cheer Eneclann on, to diarize the process every
      other month and ask them to finish the job, not only for ourselves, but for
      those genealogical enthusiast to come after us.

      Eric

      In regards to other grave yards here in Canada, the Japanese grave yards
      where removed especially in BC and transfered to a central location and the
      stones preserved in memorial walls during the War and for very good reason.
      The same held true of a couple of German cemeteries in Ontario, especially
      any military cemeteries. Most of the German war graves were moved to
      Kitchener Ontario which used to be called Berlin. National stupidity has a
      very large price to be paid, including any country that alligned themselves
      with the German cause in both Wars.
    • Rhonda Jordan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        I believe Ancestry.com has at least some of the volumes online. I think I'm remembering correctly (no current subscription); although I'm thrilled at every new online source, I can't help feeling terribly peeved when I find online a gem I went through hell and high water to discover in print form. ;-) I feel sure I felt irked over this particular source. Luckily for me, my locales were covered in the library volumes I found.

        I, too, hope everyone will support Eneclann in every endeavor. They are wonderful, friendly, helpful researchers and a potential goldmine of scarce information. I recommend their cd on older Irish Wills. Not only did I find helpful references, but they offer a reasonably priced, incredibly convenient retrieving/copying service for those to which they have access.

        Rhonda

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          Eric,

          May I post your informative letter to the Irish Research list?

          Let me know,
          Rhonda

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            Hi Rhonda:

            Absolutely, the sooner this massive archive is put into a data base the
            better. It represents the last frontier especially for those families that
            could afford a headstone from the 1800 to 1900 practically all of which were
            recorded and are just siting there in these beatiful old Journals, Someone,
            needs to be seriously prodded in the right direction!

            Eric Macklin
            Macklin Foundation