Memorials to the Dead

  • E Macklin
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2004
      Good morning everyone: Re: Journals of the Memorials to the Dead - Ireland

      These records are only available to those who care to travel to Ireland,
      and Irish Researchers, which is as we all know a valuable cottage industry
      in Ireland.
      HOWEVER, Eneclann and Trinity College Archives are attempting to put these
      records into a CD format and only Co Galway and other bits and pieces are
      currently available.
      SO I would suggest to all and sundry that we give Eneclann all the
      encouragement we can to hustle these records into production, which are
      freely available in the larger Irish libraries, so that the rest of us can
      "buy" them respective of each County.
      Every single stone standing and laying flat that was readible between 1889
      and 1914 from Cork to Derry and in all cemeteries were recorded. A great
      many of these stones were lost through time and wear and of course simple
      vandalism.
      Our Foundation has requested that "Otherdays" avail themselves of these
      records once they are available of course so that "we" can search them
      alphabetically by surname and we would ask that all subscribers to Irish web
      sites join us in this "quest".

      Eric Macklin
      Chair
      Macklin Foundation Inc

      cc: Dr's Lionel Macklin
      Mark Macklin
      Alfred Macklin
      Christine Macklin
      Jane Macklin
      Daisy Macklin
      Frederick Macklin
      William Macklin
      Harvey Macklin
    • E Macklin
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2004
        Good evening Syl:

        In order to promote "the lets get up and go" on this little item of some
        180++ Journals and the effort of others who have used the Journals as a
        guide to their own area of special interest, including Galway and Cork and
        Wicklow, including the efforts of the Cantwells, both father and son, [and J
        S Clarke for that matter] these Journals represent the last great frontier
        of Irish genealogy written in some form of stone, marble and concrete. Being
        illegible to the human eye is the last excuse one would tolerate in this day
        of electro photo enhancement and digital enhancement. Even older stones that
        have been retrieved from blow ground. A great many stones have had their
        etchings successfully retrieved over the years. If we can do it in Egypt,
        and the great standing stones of the Vikings then a few stones a couple of
        hundred years old is "a piece of cake". So we'll hear no more of this
        nonsense from others especially in regards to stones cut since the 1800's
        Having said that, and knowing that Eneclann is working on the data base
        with Trinity Archives [probably one of the few complete Journal sets] is all
        we need to know. Searching via cemeteries is a total waste of time in this
        day and age. Eneclann [one clan] has assured our Foundation that once
        completed that is will be searchable by surname and will take another year
        of so.
        My recommendation is to cheer Eneclann on, to diarize the process every
        other month and ask them to finish the job, not only for ourselves, but for
        those genealogical enthusiast to come after us.

        Eric

        In regards to other grave yards here in Canada, the Japanese grave yards
        where removed especially in BC and transfered to a central location and the
        stones preserved in memorial walls during the War and for very good reason.
        The same held true of a couple of German cemeteries in Ontario, especially
        any military cemeteries. Most of the German war graves were moved to
        Kitchener Ontario which used to be called Berlin. National stupidity has a
        very large price to be paid, including any country that alligned themselves
        with the German cause in both Wars.
      • Rhonda Jordan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          I believe Ancestry.com has at least some of the volumes online. I think I'm remembering correctly (no current subscription); although I'm thrilled at every new online source, I can't help feeling terribly peeved when I find online a gem I went through hell and high water to discover in print form. ;-) I feel sure I felt irked over this particular source. Luckily for me, my locales were covered in the library volumes I found.

          I, too, hope everyone will support Eneclann in every endeavor. They are wonderful, friendly, helpful researchers and a potential goldmine of scarce information. I recommend their cd on older Irish Wills. Not only did I find helpful references, but they offer a reasonably priced, incredibly convenient retrieving/copying service for those to which they have access.

          Rhonda

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            Eric,

            May I post your informative letter to the Irish Research list?

            Let me know,
            Rhonda

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
              Hi Rhonda:

              Absolutely, the sooner this massive archive is put into a data base the
              better. It represents the last frontier especially for those families that
              could afford a headstone from the 1800 to 1900 practically all of which were
              recorded and are just siting there in these beatiful old Journals, Someone,
              needs to be seriously prodded in the right direction!

              Eric Macklin
              Macklin Foundation