!! Ballina Chronicle; Jan 23, 1850 "Death of Dr. Elrington"

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2004
      Wednesday, January 23, 1850

      DEATH OF DR ELRINGTON
      It is our painful task on this day to record the very unexpected death of
      the Rev. Charles Elrington, D.D., Regius Professor of Divinity, Trinity College,
      Dublin, and Rector of Armagh, in the Primate's Diocese.
      Doctor Elrington was a man of profound and extensive learning - a sound and
      orthodox divine- firm in his character; and in all the social relations of life
      amiable and highly respected. The Sabbath services of yesterday, in College
      Chapel, evinced in their melancholy solemnity the place he held in the esteem
      and affections of the members of that venerable seat of learning, of which he
      had many, many years, indeed, been a distinguished light and ornament. The
      chapel was hung in mourning draperies, and the funeral sermon was most
      effectively preached by Dr. Todd. His demise, which took place at his parochial
      residence, was sudden and is said to have been the consequence of an attack of
      gout in the stomach.