Obit of Richard Lane Joynt

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2004
      The Times
      London, Middlesex, England

      DR. LANE JOYNT

      Our London Correspondent telegraphs: -
      Ireland has lost a distinguished surgeon by the death, from influenza, of
      Dr. Richard Lane Joynt, at 84, Harcourt-street, Dublin, on Sunday. He was born
      61 years ago, the son of the late William Lane Joynt, D.L., and was educated at
      the University of Dublin.
      Dr. Lane Joynt worked as a surgeon at the Meath Hospital, Dublin, with
      remarkable success, and his professional talents as a mechanician went to the
      service of his craft. During the War his inventive skill was recognized by
      experts, and Dr. Lane Joynt, who held the rank of lieutenant-colonel in the
      Royal Army Medical Corps and was General Inspector of Orthopaedic Factories, was
      set the task of designing apparatus to meet the needs of the victims of the War.
      He was a pioneer in X-ray work, and suffered terribly in consequence of his
      investigation.
      He was a man of fine literary taste and had a remarkable knowledge of Irish
      archaeology and topography. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he sailed the Irish,
      Scottish, and French coasts. As a member of the Council of the Royal College of
      Surgeons in Ireland he did much to promote surgical progress.

      Note: Richard Lane Joynt belongs to the Limerick branch of Joynts...said to be
      also my branch, but I have yet to find the connection. My line branched off to
      become Roman Catholics.
      See Descendants of William Joynt of Limerick for more info on this branch.
      http://www.celticcousins.net/joynt/descendants_of_william_joynt.htm

      Cathy Joynt Labath
      Joynt / Joint Family History
      http://www.celticcousins.net/joynt/
    • mcarella@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2004
        The Joynts sound like the Ro(a)ches; looking for the grand connection.
        This Joynt gal sounds like a sympatico soul to yourself; trying to keep
        the memories alive but still trying to tie up the loose ends and the
        connection.