!! Ballina Chronicle; Jan 23, 1850 "Irish Peerages"

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2004
      Wednesday, January 23, 1850

      IRISH PEERAGES - We extract from the memoirs of the Right Hon. Henry Grattan,
      by his son, M.H. Grattan, M.P.: - "The Lord Lieutenant did not wish to leave
      Ireland under the disgrace of the censure passed upon him. He accordingly waited
      till the ensuing year, and in the meantime applied himself to all the arts of
      corruption. It was generally stated the one of the Peerages was sold to Mr.
      Brown (afterwards Lord Kilmaine); another to Sir N. Lawless, (Lord Cloncurry); a
      third to Lord Limerick. They gave 3,000l. a piece for them.- This was laid out
      in a stock purse for the purchase of members in the lower House; and the
      circumstance was discovered by Mr. Brown quarrelling with Government, because
      they refused to return his son as one of the members.