Re: [IrelandOldNews] Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland/Burke, M.J., c. 1830-1846

  • Records
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
      It means hiss father ,John Burke, was a clergyman

      Rachel
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
        The University of Dublin, Trinity College
        Genealogical Information

        Trinity College receives many requests for genealogical information. This
        page provides signposts to websites and other resources which may be useful
        to those seeking such information. The College provides neither courses in
        genealogy nor a general genealogical research service.

        Nicola~

        You are correct. I should have scrolled down the page and read past what I
        have posted above. Thank you for pointing that out to me. For those who
        are interested, here is the link.

        http://www.tcd.ie/Visitors/general.html

        Carol
      • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
          In the Alumni Dublinenses, does it list the education/alma mater of the
          father of the student/graduate? The reason why I ask is because oral family
          tradition says:

          the father of Michael J. Burke attended Eton and then Oxford University.
          That's what my grandmother told my mother and her sisters. But my mother
          does not know the name of M.J.'s father.
        • Susan Patterson
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
            Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have records
            for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...
            > In the Alumni Dublinenses, does it list the education/alma mater of the
            > father of the student/graduate? The reason why I ask is because oral
            family
            > tradition says:
            >
            > the father of Michael J. Burke attended Eton and then Oxford University.
            > That's what my grandmother told my mother and her sisters. But my mother
            > does not know the name of M.J.'s father.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
              Susan~

              I don't understand. I don't know the name of Michael J. Burke's father, for
              sure. M.J. graduated from Trinity. It's his father that supposedly
              graduated from Oxford.

              ~Carol

              >Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have records
              >for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...

            • Susan Patterson
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                I misread your email and am sorry. Try Oxford though; his name might be John
                or Michael !
                > I don't understand. I don't know the name of Michael J. Burke's father,
                for
                > sure. M.J. graduated from Trinity. It's his father that supposedly
                > graduated from Oxford.
                >
                > ~Carol
                >

                > >Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have
                records
                > >for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...

              • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                  http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/04irish.pdf
                  Good morning Susan,

                  I just found this great source for research that offers instructions and
                  suggestions. I printed out the pages for future use. I can access PERSI
                  though the college in this town.

                  The article gives Research Guides, Gazetteers & Maps, Passenger Lists &
                  Emigration Records, Census & Census Substitutes, Vital Records, Wills,
                  Family Names & Heraldry, Periodicals, Audio Cassettes, and Other Sources for
                  IRELAND! This is good. I'm going to try PERSI today.

                  Carol
                • Maureen Aievoli
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                    Are you Carol Burke originally from Queens NY, and with two sisters, Maureen & Kathleen?
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                      Hi Maureen,

                      The answer to your question below is, "No." I've never been to New York.
                      Carol

[...]

                      Service.

                    • Susan Patterson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                        Go for it; I will be fascinated to hear if you find more about them !