Re: [IrelandOldNews] Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland/Burke, M.J., c. 1830-1846

  • Susan Patterson
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
      Michael John was 15 when he went to TCD His father was a clergyman so he
      probably belonged to the Church of Ireland which was the Anglican church :
      the same as the Church of England: equivalent to Episcopalian in USA.
      Pen means pensioner: because his father earned only a small salary or
      stipend Michael's fees were reduced.
      Michael was born in Co Galway.
      It took him six years to graduate; was he too young when he started? Most I
      have seen were 17 or 18.
      After he had done his BA he did law and went to the bar in 1838.
      The Irish Bar was part of the British judicial system; he probably worked in
      Dublin if he had lived there as a student ...
      Jane may be able to tell yu where the records for the Bar are kept: I
      imagine there would be info in the records...
      cheers,
      Susan

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
        I forgot to add
        I think PT means he was educated by a private tutor which was quite common
        in Ireland even in the C19
        The other books to help are the lists of clergy compiled by Rev James
        Leslie: I used
        "Ferns Clergy and Parishes" Dublin 1936
        "Ossory Clergy and Parishes" Enniskillen 1933 and
        "Derry Clergy and Parishes " Ennisk., 1937.
        Also try the web site for Represenative Church Body Library: they won't do
        research for you but can be helpful.( the Church of Ireland records library)
        You could also use a book of maps by Mitchell B "A new Genealogical Atlas of
        Ireland" Gen Publishing Co. Baltimore 1988. I found it very useful to
        identify the parishes and their whereabouts where the clergy had been the
        incumbents.
        There's a whole new world of terminology awaiting you !!!
        Susan
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
          Hi Carol,
          University College Dublin have courses in genealogy.
          Nicola
          > How interesting. I did go into Trinity College today. I even emailed a
          > Ph.D. in the engineering department. But then after I emailed the
          > professor, I went back and played around in Trinity for a while until I
          > found out that the college does not offer help with genealogy nor does it
          > teach that subject. (I don't know of any college that does). Anway, so I
          > emailed a person who handles older records of alumni up to the 1930's.
          But
          > then people from this list have told me about that book, so I'm really
          > getting an education today. And I thank everybody for that.
          >
          > Now to find M.J. Burke, circa ... I don't know when now. I am not aware
          of
          > the policies and procedures of education in elementary, intermediate, or
          > high school during the early 1800's Ireland. So, I don't know what to ask
          > for now. If he was born 1810 - 1815 ... when could he graduate from
          > college? And did students go four years?
          >
          > ~Carol
          >
          > Carol: I believe that TCD has a lot of suff on the internet. Try google to
          > find their web site. I visited the library several years ago . It was a
          > fantastic experience: the staff were very helpful and found the original
          > entry for my Actesons so I have their exam results too !!!!
          >
          > If you get the chance to go to Ireland one day remember that you have
          > tocontact the library before you leave home so that you can get a special
          > >reader's ticket which will enable you to get into the inner sanctum !
          > >Susan

        • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
            Thank you, Susan, your explaination helps a lot. I'm in awe that students
            would complete a higher education at such a young age. It makes you wonder
            how their minds could assimilate such information. Carol

            >Michael John was 15 when he went to TCD His father was a clergyman so he
            >probably belonged to the Church of Ireland which was the Anglican church :
            >the same as the Church of England: equivalent to Episcopalian in USA.
            >Pen means pensioner: because his father earned only a small salary or
            >stipend Michael's fees were reduced.
            >Michael was born in Co Galway.
            >It took him six years to graduate; was he too young when he started? Most I
            >have seen were 17 or 18.
            >After he had done his BA he did law and went to the bar in 1838.
            >The Irish Bar was part of the British judicial system; he probably worked
            >in
            >Dublin if he had lived there as a student ...
            >Jane may be able to tell yu where the records for the Bar are kept: I
            >imagine there would be info in the records...
            >cheers,
            >Susan

          • Records
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
              It means hiss father ,John Burke, was a clergyman

              Rachel
              > "Michael John, Pen.P.T. Oct 22 1827, aged 15,s of John Clericus, b Co
              > Galway. BA Vern. 1833 [Irish Bar 1838}"
              >
              > What does that mean, "s of John Clergy." Does it mean Michael John Burke
              > was the son of John Burke, a clergical man? I'm knew at this folks, so
              > please fill in the gaps. I'm getting a good education here.
              >
              > Carol
              >

              > >"Clericus" is clergy; I found my Actesons and Spillers in that book !!!!
              > >Susan

            • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                The University of Dublin, Trinity College
                Genealogical Information

                Trinity College receives many requests for genealogical information. This
                page provides signposts to websites and other resources which may be useful
                to those seeking such information. The College provides neither courses in
                genealogy nor a general genealogical research service.

                Nicola~

                You are correct. I should have scrolled down the page and read past what I
                have posted above. Thank you for pointing that out to me. For those who
                are interested, here is the link.

                http://www.tcd.ie/Visitors/general.html

                Carol
              • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                  In the Alumni Dublinenses, does it list the education/alma mater of the
                  father of the student/graduate? The reason why I ask is because oral family
                  tradition says:

                  the father of Michael J. Burke attended Eton and then Oxford University.
                  That's what my grandmother told my mother and her sisters. But my mother
                  does not know the name of M.J.'s father.
                • Susan Patterson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                    Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have records
                    for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...
                    > In the Alumni Dublinenses, does it list the education/alma mater of the
                    > father of the student/graduate? The reason why I ask is because oral
                    family
                    > tradition says:
                    >
                    > the father of Michael J. Burke attended Eton and then Oxford University.
                    > That's what my grandmother told my mother and her sisters. But my mother
                    > does not know the name of M.J.'s father.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                      Susan~

                      I don't understand. I don't know the name of Michael J. Burke's father, for
                      sure. M.J. graduated from Trinity. It's his father that supposedly
                      graduated from Oxford.

                      ~Carol

                      >Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have records
                      >for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...

                    • Susan Patterson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                        I misread your email and am sorry. Try Oxford though; his name might be John
                        or Michael !
                        > I don't understand. I don't know the name of Michael J. Burke's father,
                        for
                        > sure. M.J. graduated from Trinity. It's his father that supposedly
                        > graduated from Oxford.
                        >
                        > ~Carol
                        >

                        > >Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have
                        records
                        > >for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...

                      • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                          http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/04irish.pdf
                          Good morning Susan,

                          I just found this great source for research that offers instructions and
                          suggestions. I printed out the pages for future use. I can access PERSI
                          though the college in this town.

                          The article gives Research Guides, Gazetteers & Maps, Passenger Lists &
                          Emigration Records, Census & Census Substitutes, Vital Records, Wills,
                          Family Names & Heraldry, Periodicals, Audio Cassettes, and Other Sources for
                          IRELAND! This is good. I'm going to try PERSI today.

                          Carol
                        • Maureen Aievoli
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                            Are you Carol Burke originally from Queens NY, and with two sisters, Maureen & Kathleen?
[...]

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                              Hi Maureen,

                              The answer to your question below is, "No." I've never been to New York.
                              Carol

[...]

                              Service.

                            • Susan Patterson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                                Go for it; I will be fascinated to hear if you find more about them !