Re: [IrelandOldNews] Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland/Burke, M.J., c. 1830-1846

  • Records
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
      Carol
      Archive Books project o CD Roms of old and rare books for reasonable prices-
      one of them is Alumni Dublinenses from a book published in 1924.

      www.archivecdbooks.org

      I looked up Burke in my copy- it covers 1639-1846 and the only Michael J
      would appear to have graduated in law.

      Michael John, Pen.P.T. Oct 22 1827, aged 15,s of John Clericus, b Co Galway.
      BA Vern. 1833 [Irish Bar 1838}

      Michael ,Pen. July 2 1845,s. of James , Agricola defunctus, b Co Clare.Vern.
      1849
      As for the abbreviations, Pen is Pensioner, b= born, s= son; My latin is
      rusty but Vern is Spring, Agricola is farmer, Defunctus= deceased. Not sure
      about Clericus (clerk or clergy?)

      Doubt if this helps very much. There are a heap more Burkes if you think he
      might have been recorded by another first name. You don't say what the 'J'
      stands for.

      Rachel
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
        "Clericus" is clergy; I found my Actesons and Spillers in that book !!!!
        Susan
        > Archive Books project o CD Roms of old and rare books for reasonable
        prices-
        > one of them is Alumni Dublinenses from a book published in 1924.
        >
        > www.archivecdbooks.org
        >
        > I looked up Burke in my copy- it covers 1639-1846 and the only Michael J
        > would appear to have graduated in law.
        >
        > Michael John, Pen.P.T. Oct 22 1827, aged 15,s of John Clericus, b Co
        Galway.
        > BA Vern. 1833 [Irish Bar 1838}
        >
        > Michael ,Pen. July 2 1845,s. of James , Agricola defunctus, b Co
        Clare.Vern.
        > 1849
        > As for the abbreviations, Pen is Pensioner, b= born, s= son; My latin is
        > rusty but Vern is Spring, Agricola is farmer, Defunctus= deceased. Not
        sure
        > about Clericus (clerk or clergy?)
        >
        > Doubt if this helps very much. There are a heap more Burkes if you think
        he
        > might have been recorded by another first name. You don't say what the 'J'
        > stands for.
        >
        > Rachel

      • Susan Patterson
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
          Carol: I believe that TCD has a lot of suff on the internet. Try google to
          find their web site. I visited the library several years ago . It was a
          fantastic experience: the staff were very helpful and found the original
          entry for my Actesons so I have their exam results too !!!!
          If you get the chance to go to Ireland one day remember that you have to
          contact the library before you leave home so that you can get a special
          reader's ticket which will enable you to get into the inner sanctum !
          Susan
          > I'm searching the roots of my g-grandfather, Michael J. Burke. He
          > was born in Dublin circa 1810-1815. I have an article from the
          > Johnson County, KS librarian that states, M. J. relocated to Iowa in
          > 1848, and then to Kansas in 1858. The article doesn't say what city
          > in Dublin, Ireland M.J. was born, but it doesn't list the county
          > either, so I'm assuming it's Dublin City, County of Dublin. I'm not
          > sure when he came to America. And I'm not sure of the port of
          > entry.
          >
          > The article also stated that M.J. was a graduate of Trinity College
          > in the field of Civil Engineering. He was employed in Iowa and
          > Kansas as a Government Surveyor. He was one of several surveyors
          > who worked on the plans for the Sante Fe Railroad.
          >
          > My question is this: Can I search Trinity College, Dublin for the
          > records of his graduation? Is there a searchable website online for
          > early graduates of this college? I'm not sure of the year of his
          > birth, therefore, I not sure when he graduated.
          >
          > What I'm trying to do is locate the names of his parents, and to
          > find out if they came to America with him. I'm hoping his college
          > records will give the names of his parents. Or I'm hoping to find
          > an article in a Catholic journal or local newspaper for the
          > timeframe. Did Trinity College have their own newspaper c. 1830-
          > 1846? It's my understanding that Trinity College was basically
          > established as a Protestant school, but I could be wrong.
          >
          > Thank you for any sugggestion you may have. And I really enjoy
          > reading through the articles, especially the style of writing. I
          > find it enchanting.
          >
          > Carol in California
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
            Hi,

            "Michael John, Pen.P.T. Oct 22 1827, aged 15,s of John Clericus, b Co
            Galway. BA Vern. 1833 [Irish Bar 1838}"

            What does that mean, "s of John Clergy." Does it mean Michael John Burke
            was the son of John Burke, a clergical man? I'm knew at this folks, so
            please fill in the gaps. I'm getting a good education here.

            Carol

            >"Clericus" is clergy; I found my Actesons and Spillers in that book !!!!
            >Susan

          • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
              Hi Susan~

              How interesting. I did go into Trinity College today. I even emailed a
              Ph.D. in the engineering department. But then after I emailed the
              professor, I went back and played around in Trinity for a while until I
              found out that the college does not offer help with genealogy nor does it
              teach that subject. (I don't know of any college that does). Anway, so I
              emailed a person who handles older records of alumni up to the 1930's. But
              then people from this list have told me about that book, so I'm really
              getting an education today. And I thank everybody for that.

              Now to find M.J. Burke, circa ... I don't know when now. I am not aware of
              the policies and procedures of education in elementary, intermediate, or
              high school during the early 1800's Ireland. So, I don't know what to ask
              for now. If he was born 1810 - 1815 ... when could he graduate from
              college? And did students go four years?

              ~Carol

            • Susan Patterson
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                Michael John was 15 when he went to TCD His father was a clergyman so he
                probably belonged to the Church of Ireland which was the Anglican church :
                the same as the Church of England: equivalent to Episcopalian in USA.
                Pen means pensioner: because his father earned only a small salary or
                stipend Michael's fees were reduced.
                Michael was born in Co Galway.
                It took him six years to graduate; was he too young when he started? Most I
                have seen were 17 or 18.
                After he had done his BA he did law and went to the bar in 1838.
                The Irish Bar was part of the British judicial system; he probably worked in
                Dublin if he had lived there as a student ...
                Jane may be able to tell yu where the records for the Bar are kept: I
                imagine there would be info in the records...
                cheers,
                Susan

                > "Michael John, Pen.P.T. Oct 22 1827, aged 15,s of John Clericus, b Co
                > Galway. BA Vern. 1833 [Irish Bar 1838}"
                >
                > What does that mean, "s of John Clergy." Does it mean Michael John Burke
                > was the son of John Burke, a clergical man? I'm knew at this folks, so
                > please fill in the gaps. I'm getting a good education here.
                >
                > Carol
                >

                > >"Clericus" is clergy; I found my Actesons and Spillers in that book !!!!
                > >Susan

              • Susan Patterson
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                  I forgot to add
                  I think PT means he was educated by a private tutor which was quite common
                  in Ireland even in the C19
                  The other books to help are the lists of clergy compiled by Rev James
                  Leslie: I used
                  "Ferns Clergy and Parishes" Dublin 1936
                  "Ossory Clergy and Parishes" Enniskillen 1933 and
                  "Derry Clergy and Parishes " Ennisk., 1937.
                  Also try the web site for Represenative Church Body Library: they won't do
                  research for you but can be helpful.( the Church of Ireland records library)
                  You could also use a book of maps by Mitchell B "A new Genealogical Atlas of
                  Ireland" Gen Publishing Co. Baltimore 1988. I found it very useful to
                  identify the parishes and their whereabouts where the clergy had been the
                  incumbents.
                  There's a whole new world of terminology awaiting you !!!

                • darcy5
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                    Hi Carol,
                    University College Dublin have courses in genealogy.
                    Nicola
                    > How interesting. I did go into Trinity College today. I even emailed a
                    > Ph.D. in the engineering department. But then after I emailed the
                    > professor, I went back and played around in Trinity for a while until I
                    > found out that the college does not offer help with genealogy nor does it
                    > teach that subject. (I don't know of any college that does). Anway, so I
                    > emailed a person who handles older records of alumni up to the 1930's.
                    But
                    > then people from this list have told me about that book, so I'm really
                    > getting an education today. And I thank everybody for that.
                    >
                    > Now to find M.J. Burke, circa ... I don't know when now. I am not aware
                    of
                    > the policies and procedures of education in elementary, intermediate, or
                    > high school during the early 1800's Ireland. So, I don't know what to ask
                    > for now. If he was born 1810 - 1815 ... when could he graduate from
                    > college? And did students go four years?
                    >
                    > ~Carol
                    >
                    > Carol: I believe that TCD has a lot of suff on the internet. Try google to
                    > find their web site. I visited the library several years ago . It was a
                    > fantastic experience: the staff were very helpful and found the original
                    > entry for my Actesons so I have their exam results too !!!!
                    >
                    > If you get the chance to go to Ireland one day remember that you have
                    > tocontact the library before you leave home so that you can get a special
                    > >reader's ticket which will enable you to get into the inner sanctum !
                    > >Susan

                  • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                      Thank you, Susan, your explaination helps a lot. I'm in awe that students
                      would complete a higher education at such a young age. It makes you wonder
                      how their minds could assimilate such information. Carol

                      >Michael John was 15 when he went to TCD His father was a clergyman so he
                      >probably belonged to the Church of Ireland which was the Anglican church :
                      >the same as the Church of England: equivalent to Episcopalian in USA.
                      >Pen means pensioner: because his father earned only a small salary or
                      >stipend Michael's fees were reduced.
                      >Michael was born in Co Galway.
                      >It took him six years to graduate; was he too young when he started? Most I
                      >have seen were 17 or 18.
                      >After he had done his BA he did law and went to the bar in 1838.
                      >The Irish Bar was part of the British judicial system; he probably worked
                      >in
                      >Dublin if he had lived there as a student ...
                      >Jane may be able to tell yu where the records for the Bar are kept: I
                      >imagine there would be info in the records...
                      >cheers,
                      >Susan

                    • Records
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                        It means hiss father ,John Burke, was a clergyman

                        Rachel
                        > "Michael John, Pen.P.T. Oct 22 1827, aged 15,s of John Clericus, b Co
                        > Galway. BA Vern. 1833 [Irish Bar 1838}"
                        >
                        > What does that mean, "s of John Clergy." Does it mean Michael John Burke
                        > was the son of John Burke, a clergical man? I'm knew at this folks, so
                        > please fill in the gaps. I'm getting a good education here.
                        >
                        > Carol
                        >

                        > >"Clericus" is clergy; I found my Actesons and Spillers in that book !!!!
                        > >Susan

                      • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                          The University of Dublin, Trinity College
                          Genealogical Information

                          Trinity College receives many requests for genealogical information. This
                          page provides signposts to websites and other resources which may be useful
                          to those seeking such information. The College provides neither courses in
                          genealogy nor a general genealogical research service.

                          Nicola~

                          You are correct. I should have scrolled down the page and read past what I
                          have posted above. Thank you for pointing that out to me. For those who
                          are interested, here is the link.

                          http://www.tcd.ie/Visitors/general.html

                          Carol
                        • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                            In the Alumni Dublinenses, does it list the education/alma mater of the
                            father of the student/graduate? The reason why I ask is because oral family
                            tradition says:

                            the father of Michael J. Burke attended Eton and then Oxford University.
                            That's what my grandmother told my mother and her sisters. But my mother
                            does not know the name of M.J.'s father.
                          • Susan Patterson
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                              Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have records
                              for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...
                              > In the Alumni Dublinenses, does it list the education/alma mater of the
                              > father of the student/graduate? The reason why I ask is because oral
                              family
                              > tradition says:
                              >
                              > the father of Michael J. Burke attended Eton and then Oxford University.
                              > That's what my grandmother told my mother and her sisters. But my mother
                              > does not know the name of M.J.'s father.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 21, 2004
                                Susan~

                                I don't understand. I don't know the name of Michael J. Burke's father, for
                                sure. M.J. graduated from Trinity. It's his father that supposedly
                                graduated from Oxford.

                                ~Carol

                                >Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have records
                                >for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...

                              • Susan Patterson
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                                  I misread your email and am sorry. Try Oxford though; his name might be John
                                  or Michael !
                                  > I don't understand. I don't know the name of Michael J. Burke's father,
                                  for
                                  > sure. M.J. graduated from Trinity. It's his father that supposedly
                                  > graduated from Oxford.
                                  >
                                  > ~Carol
                                  >

                                  > >Well you do now! Contact Eton and Oxford and ask them if they have
                                  records
                                  > >for that period and if so how can you get hold of them...

                                • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                                    http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/04irish.pdf
                                    Good morning Susan,

                                    I just found this great source for research that offers instructions and
                                    suggestions. I printed out the pages for future use. I can access PERSI
                                    though the college in this town.

                                    The article gives Research Guides, Gazetteers & Maps, Passenger Lists &
                                    Emigration Records, Census & Census Substitutes, Vital Records, Wills,
                                    Family Names & Heraldry, Periodicals, Audio Cassettes, and Other Sources for
                                    IRELAND! This is good. I'm going to try PERSI today.

                                    Carol
                                  • Maureen Aievoli
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                                      Are you Carol Burke originally from Queens NY, and with two sisters, Maureen & Kathleen?
[...]

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • Carol VEIO/VIEAU
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                                        Hi Maureen,

                                        The answer to your question below is, "No." I've never been to New York.
                                        Carol

[...]

                                        Service.

                                      • Susan Patterson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 22, 2004
                                          Go for it; I will be fascinated to hear if you find more about them !