Irish Ancestors

  • Janine H
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2004
      hello group members,

      I've just joined because I'm desperately seeking a lead in the search for an Irish Ancestor's town of origin.

      My great granny x 3 Catherine Byrne, was sentenced to 7 years transportation at the age of 19 years for stealing bedclothes. From the Transportation records I have discovered she is from Co.Kildare however no town is mentioned. Catherine's trial was held on 3 June 1839. My challenge is to determine if her trial may have been mentioned in the papers of the day. She was jailed in Dublin city before the trial and again afterwards until she left on the Minerva II on August 18th 1839. I know I am grasping straws here, but I would be overjoyed to discover a little about her roots. Please will you/can you assist me?

      Thank you
      Janine Hinton
      South Australia

    • Maggie
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2004
        Well, Janine, i don't have any info about your granny, but she sure sounds
        resourceful and delightful. I would be mighty proud to discover such info
        about mine.
        Maggie McGrail