!! Ballina Chronicle; Aug 23, 1849 "Limerick Executions"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2003
      Wednesday, August 23, 1849

      EXECUTION IN LIMERICK
      Catherine Dillon, John Fogarty and John Frewen, were on Saturday executed
      in front of the gaol of Limerick. The unfortunate female seemed very weak and
      was supported to the drop by two of the Roman Catholic clergy in attendance. She
      wore a black mantle, the same which she wore at the trial. Frewen walked up
      firmly to the drop; when he made the following declaration of innocence, which
      he read from a paper:-
      "I most solemnly declare, in the presence of Almighty God, at whose
      judgment seat I am about to appear, that I am not guilty of the murder of Peter
      Nash, for which I am about to suffer, nor of any other murder. I was in my own
      house, in the company of Thady Brien, William Hogan, William Meehan and my
      sister, at the moment the murder was committed, and only left to carry the
      murdered man to his own house.
      "I also solemnly declare that I never entered into a conspiracy for the
      murder of Peter Nash.
      "I never during my life went to take arms, nor joined in any other Whiteboy
      offence.
      "I wish to state that never at any time, mentioned the name of Stretch as
      the person who discharged the gun at Nash.
      "I am entirely resigned to the will of God. I unite my sufferings and death
      to those of my Divine Redeemer, in whose merits all my hopes of eternal
      happiness are fixed. I freely forgive from my heart my prosecutors, all of whom
      swore falsely against me; and I pray to God to forgive them for their wicked
      perjury. I must earnestly beg the prayers of all who read this my solemn
      declaration.
      (Signed) "JOHN FREWEN.
      "Signed in the presence of H. Woodburn, governor of the prison; Patrick
      Roche, John Hickie, Rev. J. Burnton, W. Burke, Chaplain."
      The following declaration was made by Fogarty:-
      "As I am to appear before my God for judgment on this day, I wish to
      declare solemnly that the statement made by some of the witnesses on my trial,
      that there was a sinful intimacy between me and Catherine Dillon, is totally
      false. I never during my life even harboured a bad thought regarding her.
      (Signed) "JOHN FOGARTY.
      "Wm. Burke, Chaplain.
      "__ Fitzgerald, Gaoler."