!! Freeman Journal; May 29, 1764

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2004
      Freeman Journal
      Dublin, Ireland
      Tuesday, May 29, 1764

      DUBLIN.
      To the Committee for conducting the FREE-PRESS:
      Gentlemen, May 22nd, 1764
      I Went last Sunday to Christ Church for the first Time since my Return to
      America, where I have been for many Years; but was greatly surprized to be
      denied Admittance, by an old Fellow who opened the Door, just sufficient to put
      his Head out, and make a Demand of a Piece of Money; which on my not complying
      with, he slapt the Door in my Face with the most insolent Air imaginable. I
      would be glad to make a Query through the Channel of your most useful Paper:
      whether it would not be more beneficial to these sacred BOX-KEEPERS to advertise
      where TICKETS may be bought to save Trouble both to them and to the
      Congregation, as it must be somewhat disagreeable to a Gentleman to remain
      exposed to the Ridicule of the lower Class in the Isle, if he has not Silver to
      gratify the Door-keeper (which was my Case)?
      I have been in several Roman Catholick Countries, in whose Churches, as
      well as several Dissenting Congregations, the greatest Politeness is observed to
      all Strangers coming in; nor have I ever paid for Admittance to a Place
      dedicated to the Worship of the Almighty, or ever heard of such a Thing untill
      my Arrival in Dublin.
      I am Gentlemen,
      Your most obedient Servant,
      AN OFFICER.

      MARRIAGES.] A few days ago, at Tuam, Lieut. Hutton of the 69th Regiment of
      Foot, to Miss Monica Kenny of Galway.--The Revd. Mr. Thomas Stephcus, Minister
      of Duncormick, in the Diocese of Ferns, to Miss Sarah Read of Wexford.

      DEATHS.] A few Days ago, at Limerick, Mrs. Mead, Wife of Mr. John Mead
      Richd.--On Redmond's-hill, Mr. Atkinson, Chandler, and one of the People called
      Quakers.--On Rogerson's-quay, aged 103, Mrs. Mary Redmond, who enjoyed all her
      Senses to the last Moment.-- In Marlborough-street, suddenly, Mr. George
      Stewart, an eminent Master-Builder.-- At Marseilles, in the South of France, the
      Hon. Mrs. Blake, Daughter of the late and Sister to the present Lord Viscount
      Netterville of this Kingdom-- At Drummine, in the County of Kildare, Mr. John
      Keightly, aged 119 -- In Great-britain-street, Mr. Francis Holland, an eminent
      Lock-smith.-- In Back-lane, the Wife of Mr. John Buck, Printer.-- ON the Comb,
      Mr. Warren, formerly an eminent Grocer at Cork-bridge.-- Near Kilcock, aged
      upwards of 100 Years, Walter Huffey, Gent.

      The Twelve-penny Household Loaf is to weigh 09 Pounds, 15 Ounces 00
      Drachms; the middle Price of Wheat being at 2l. 5s. 0d.