Ballina, Mayo, Ireland
Wednesday, January 9, 1850
PEERS' DEATHS - 1849
1. January 1 - George, Earl of Arran, G.C.B. His Lordship dying unmarried,
the Earldom and Barony of Eden became extinct, but his other titles devolved
upon his brother, Hon. and Right Rev. Eden, Lord Bishop of Sodor and Man,
present and third Lord Auckland.
2. January 11 - Charles Earl Talbot, succeeded by his eldest surviving son,
Henry John, Viscount Ingestre, present and third Earl Talbot.
3. February 1 - George Robert, Earl of Buckinghamshire; succeeded by his
brother, Rev. Augustus Edward Hobart, present and sixth Earl.
4. March 10 - John. Lord Carteret; dying without issue, title extinct.
5. March 27 - Archibald, Earl of Gosford; succeeded by his only son,
Archibald, Viscount Acheson, present and third Earl.
6. April 20- Charles Joseph, Viscount Monck; succeeded by his eldest son,
Hon. Charles Stanley Monck, present and fourth Viscount Monck.
7. May 23 - John Earl of Mayo; succeeded by his nephew, Robert Bourke, Esq;
eldest son of the late Hon. Richard Bourke, Bishop of Waterford, present and
fifth Earl of Mayo.
8. May 26 - William Aubrey de Vere, Duke of St. Alban's; succeeded by his
only son, William Amelius Aubrey de Vere, Earl of Burford, present and tenth
9. May 28 - Joseph Henry, Lord Wallscourt; succeeded by his only son, Hon.
Erroll Augustus Blake, present and fourth Lord.
10. June 14 - Henry, Earl of Thannet. All his Lordships titles are extinct.
11. June 26 - Thomas Oliver, Lord Louth; succeeded by his eldest son, Hoh.
Randal Percy Plunkett, present and thirteenth Lord.
12. August 20 - David, Earl of Airlie; succeeded by his eldest son, David
Graham, present and tenth Earl.
13. September 14 - Paul, Lord Methuen; succeeded by his eldest surviving
son, Hon. Frederick Methuen, present and second Lord.
14. October 4 - Mason Gerard, Earl of Aldborough; succeeded by his only
son, Benjamin Viscount Amiens, present and sixth Earl.
15. October 29 - Richard Wogan, Lord Talbot de Malahide and Furnival. His
Lordship dying s.p., the English peerage of Furnival becomes extinct, but his
Irish titles devolve on the Hon. James Talbot of Evercruch House, Somerset,
present and third Lord Talbot de Malahide.
16. October 30 - William Charles, Earl of Albemarle; succeeded by his
eldest son, Augustus Frederick, Viscount Bury, present and fifth Earl of
17. November 9 - William Lord Alvanley; succeeded by his only brother, the
Hon. Colonel Richard Pepper, Arden, present and third Lord Alvanley.
18. December 10 - Henry John George, Earl of Carnarvon; succeeded by his
eldest son, Henry Howard Molyneux, Lord Porchester, present and four Earl of
19. December 22 - John, Lord Colville, of Colross; succeeded by his nephew,
Charles Colville, Eq; present and eleventh Lord.
Cathy Joynt Labath
Ireland Old News