!! Ballina Chronicle, Aug 23, 1849 "Killaloe, Co. Clare Flood"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21 8:42 AM
      Wednesday, August 23, 1849

      DESTRUCTIVE FLOOD- A correspondent of the Limerick and Clare Examiner,
      writes as follows from Killaloe:- "I hasten to inform you of the very disastrous
      effects of the mountain floods or rather water spouts, which burst on the
      mountain tops of Sluanmedon and Ballycugran, on Wednesday last, about three
      o'clock, p.m., the respective properties of Colonel G. Wyndham and Mr.
      Patterson. Having heard so many conflicting accounts of the amount of damage
      done to the crops in that locality I determined to visit the scene of
      destruction. I accordingly drove over yesterday. Oh! what a heart-rending scene
      men , women and children wading above their knees in mire and mud, picking up
      some little articles of furniture and washing them in the stream; others picking
      out of the mud turf, potatoes, &c., and carrying the other necessaries. Passing
      along the Scariff road, and immediately above the cottage residence of Marcus
      Patterson, Esq., the mountain appeared as if rent asunder, corn fields covered
      with the debris of the mountain surface, ditches levelled in the course of the
      flood. Many miles still further on we came to the residence of Mr. Patterson's
      steward, Foley. The account of the inmates here was truly frightful. The flood
      suddenly rose, and passing the house, was obstructed by a circular wall in
      front, where it rushed in through the open door. Here in an instant was to be
      seen floating about the large kitchen floor, children and cradles, hay, turf,
      ducks, geese, furniture, &c. The children were rescued by the courage of some
      present who opened an outlet for the water and at the imminent risk of their own
      lives saved the children and other inmates. Poor Foley and his wife were absent.
      Moving on further we perceived the destruction of property was on more extensive
      scale. An industrious poor man, named Thos. M.'Grath, has lost property to an
      immense amount, at least 100l worth, consisting of set potatoes, wheat, barley,
      and a quantity of hay sound and in 'tram cocks.' His farm lies in the immediate
      view of the river. Going further we came to where the very pretty bridge of
      Anscarriga, built only last year, lay in ruins. Here a wide and awful gulf
      presented itself, ruin and destruction all around. Two very industrious and
      honest farmers named Daniel and James Cournee, brothers, resided before the
      bridge, so sudden was the rising of the flood they had not had time to save a
      single article.- Their furniture, bedding, clothes, butter, milk, and all
      floating down the torrent. Their all is gone, and the ricks of turf carried from
      the bog only last week totally swept away by the reckless flood; a vestige of
      their crops is not left behind. Nothing but stones and mud and gravel where the
      luxuriant wheat flowered only one hour before. Turnips and oats, wheat and
      potatoes, all one mess. Several other small farmers also suffered. Two brothers,
      named Molony, have lost 10 acres of prime meadow land. Taking it all in all, so
      much destruction of property has not occurred here in the memory of the oldest
      inhabitant. The appearance of the torrent rushing madly on was terrific, awfully
      grand-down it came toppling with the noise of thunder, carrying before it
      horses, cows, mules, asses, bridges, corn fields, hay, &c. into the Shannon.