!! Ballina Chronicle; Aug 23, 1849 "Potatoes"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2003
      Wednesday, August 23, 1849

      THE POTATO
      A good deal of alarm has arisen within the last week regarding the potato
      crop in this district. Until the last few days, nothing could be finer than the
      appearance of the numerous fields around the town; with sorrow, however, we must
      confess it, that what we now see by no means realizes the fond hopes we had
      entertained of the character of this year's produce. Far and near the fell
      disease seems to have descended to crush those hopes and to blight the budding
      of returning prosperity. So far present appearances go, but we must not despair.
      It is well known that in very many instances last year, although the stalks were
      blasted the tubers were safe, and when we reflect upon the immense breadth of
      land set, we may fairly conclude that, even should destruction take place in a
      similar ration this season, we shall yet have an abundant supply of the root.
      We could not reasonably expect that the disease, existing as it has done
      for several consecutive years, should suddenly and mysteriously disappear. If it
      exists in a modified degree only, we ought to be thankful; and should this be
      the case, in conjunction with a bountiful return of every description of grain,
      it will surely be admitted that instead of desponding our hearts ought to be
      raised in gratitude to the Giver of all good.

      FREE TRADE- On Friday three vessels with maize, Saturday one and Sunday
      six. Large stocks of Indian corn are accumulating in market-no demand whatever.
      Best Galatz can be readily had at 6l. 10s. per ton.- Our markets continue to be
      well supplied with potatoes, free from disease, and really excellent in quality.
      They were sold as low on Saturday as 5 1/2d. per weight of 21 lbs.-- Cork
      Constitution.