RE: [IrelandOldNews] !! Connaught Journal; July 5, 1824 "Military Promotions"

  • Lyman D. Spencer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2004
      I am a newcomer to this group. I joined mainly because I quite
      regularly see posts by Dennis Ahern at soc
      <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=soc> .
      history
      <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=soc.history>
      . war
      <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=soc.history.wa
      r> . us-civil-war . These posts usually concern the U.S Civil War. I
      write a newsletter for a Sons of Confederate Veterans organization here
      in the U.S. that deals with the Southern perspective of the War. I find
      these posts' most interesting and they always find a place in my
      writings. I would be very interested in any postings that deal with
      this subject.

      Regards,

      Lyman D. Spencer

      <mailto:lymandspencer@...> lymandspencer@...

      * Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance
      may deride it, but, in the end, there it is.
      --Sir Winston Churchill

      ... for those willing to study history, the truth can be a liberating
      experience.

      Galway, Monday, July 5, 1824

      MILITARY PROMOTIONS
      WAR-OFFICE, JUNE 25
      2d Regiment of Dragoon Guards - R. Griffiths, gentleman, to be
      cornet, by
      purchase, vice Dunscombe, promoted in the 1st or Grenadier Foot Guards.
      7th Regiment of Light Dragoons - Captain Shirley, to be Major, by
      purchase,
      vice Keane, promoted. - Lieutenant Williams, to be Captain, by purchase,
      vice
      Shirley - C Pringle, to be Lieutenant, by purchase, vice Williams.
      1st or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards - Cornet Duncome, from the
      2d
      Dragoon Guards, to be Ensign and Lieutenant, by purchase, vice Douglass,
      promoted.
      71st Regiment of Foot-Quartermaster-Serjeant Agnew, to be
      Quartermaster,
      vice Herring, who retires.
      90th Ditto - Assistant Surgeon Whitney, from the 85th Foot, to be
      Surgeon,
      vice Morrison, deceased.
      97th Ditto- Surgeon Connolly, from half-pay, 5th West India
      Rangers, to be
      Surgeon.
      99th Ditto - Surgeon Hibbert, from half-pay York L.I. Volunteers to
      be
      Surgeon.
      Rifle Brigade - Assistant Surgeon Armstrong, from half pay to be
      Assistant
      Surgeon, vice Campbell, who exchanges.
      UNATTACHED - Major Keane, from the 7th Light Dragoons, to be
      Lieutenant-Colonel of Infantry, by purchase, vice Lieutenant-General
      Stovin,
      show retires.
      BREVET - Lieutenant Scott, half pay 66th Foot, (Barrack-Master at
      St.
      Vincent's) to have the local rank of Captain in that Island.
      HOSPITAL STAFF - To be Assistant Surgeon to the Forces- Assistant
      Surgeon
      Dawson, M.D., from half - pay Canadian Fencibles, vice Clifford,
      exchanged to
      half-pay, Hospital Assistant Morgan.
      Assistant Surgeon Caldwell, from half pay 31st foot, vice Hospital
      Assistant Lamond, appointed to the 56th Foot.
      To be Hospital Assistant - Hospital Assistant Blackwood, from half
      pay,
      vice Farmer, who exchanges.
      MEMORANDUM - His Majesty has been pleased to direct that the 69th
      Regiment
      of Foot shall cease to bear the appellation of the "Royal American"
      Regiment,
      and it shall be termed the 60th Regiment, or "the Duke of York's Own
      Rifle Corps
      Light Infantry."

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294ljl88/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
      D=groups/S=1705774045:HM/EXP=1096322226/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
      p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

      s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=424777172>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links