!! Ballina Chronicle; Aug 23, 1849

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2003
      Wednesday, August 23, 1849

      (From our Crossmolina Correspondent)
      CROSSMOLINA, Aug, 14- This town continues in a state of slight commotion;
      not that the cases of cholera have been numerous, but that the malignant nature
      of some of them, together with the filthy state of the cabins, which the
      patients inhabit, almost defy the skill of the physician or the care of the
      Famine has done much to introduce this fearful disease into Crossmolina and
      to jeopard the life of the unhappy sufferer. Oh! I have witnessed scenes!-
      scenes, such as I have often read in the "newspapers," but to which I never
      before gave credence. Scenes calculated to harrow the feelings of the most
      hard-hearted. Scenes, to enlist the sympathy of the beholder. Scenes, to exact
      from humanity (the only wealth of the poor man) the tribute of a tear!
      I have seen man in his glory-I beheld him not many days since, in the full
      enjoyment of rude health. I came again- I found him prostrate in the grave of
      the "Fell Destroyer." How true it is then, that ," In the midst of life we are
      in death;" and how grateful should we, who survive, be to that Great and Good
      Being, whose mercy bids us live-live on a little longer, but who whispers,
      I have seen the victim of destitution, stretched on the damp earth of his
      hut, writhing in agony; no hand stretched forth with friendly aid-no food to
      sustain his sinking frame-no heat to invigorate his numbed limbs. I have seen
      him freed from his dependence on his fellow man resign his soul into the hands
      of Him from whom he received it; have seen him afterwards borne to his last
      resting place, unwept, unmourned, unhonoured, unpitied, unattended.
      Such is a faint but strictly faithful outline of the deaths which (thank
      God out of thirty cases comprised only six) occurred in Crossmolina. Aye, when
      man has the "will" would that he were divested of the "power" "To make his
      fellow mourn." Had timely precautions been resorted to, I have not the least
      hesitation to say, that some lives would have been saved. I speak as advisedly
      and as confidently as I do publicly.
      It is true, that on Friday evening last, the Court-house had been fitted up
      for the receptions of patients, and that beds and bedding were sent from the
      hospital for the patients; but they were arrested on the way by the Canaile and
      the attempt to settle them there, on that evening, proved abortive. On the
      following morning another attempt met with a similar fate. So end the matter for
      the present.
      Now I shall instance two cases to illustrate the above assertion:- Dr.
      M'Nair, who had a very severe attack, not only survives it, but is fast
      recovering. A Sub-Constable, Martin, (as had a case as had occurred here) was
      attacked on Thursday evening last; at four o'clock the following morning he was
      out of danger, and is now walking about.
      CROSSMOLINA- August 21- The Hearld of Fear and of desolation has
      disappeared. Cholera is extinct; having bequeathed to the potato crop its
      pestilential influence. We have had here, in all, thirty-nine cases and fourteen
      deaths. There are four remaining in hospital, but they are convalescent. I have
      no doubt that many lives would have been saved had an hospital been established
      at the commencement of the disease, but the politic "People" successfully
      opposed its occupancy by the patients for some days. Thus has human life been
      the sacrifice of ignorance and inhumanity. On Thursday last Captain Hamilton
      came out from Ballina and was met by E. Orme, Esq. the constabulary were called
      out, but fortunately had an occasion to act; the gentlemen alluded to having by
      their remonstrances, prevailed on the crowd to disperse were permitted quietly
      to effect the object which brought them together, viz. the establishment of an
      hospital. Ever since cholera has been on the decline, and we are now, than God,
      fairly rid of it.