!! Connaught Journal; July 1, 1824 "Misc News"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, July 1, 1824

      Captain O'Callagahn has at length been allowed those common necessaries and
      comforts, which his rank in society and his moral innocence entitle him to. His
      case was discussed at length in the House of Commons on Thursday night.

      MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT - On Friday, Eliza Ledwich, an aged servant, 71 years
      old, who resides in Marlborough-street, went to take a tea kettle off the fire;
      when being embarrassed by lameness, and oppressed by age, illness and fatigue,
      she fell with her head against the grate, and her clothes taking fire, she was
      burned to death almost immediately. An inquest was held by the Coroner, Alderman
      Drury Jones, and a Jury of respectable neighbours. Verdict,- "Accidental
      Death."--Freeman's Journal.

      A subscription is about to be raised for the widow of the Missionary Smith,
      whose untimely death has been a subject of such just lamentation, both in and
      out of Parliament.

      The Estate of Peter Holmes, Esq. in the county of Tipperary, including the
      town of Nenagh, comprising 800 houses, is advertised to be sold for payment of
      debts.

      EMIGRATION.- The whole number of emigrants that arrived in the United
      States during the year ending the 30th of September, 1823, from all parts of the
      world, did not amount to 5,000- National Journal.

      THE ARMY
      The "Tenths" are actually and positively coming to Connaught. In our last
      was announced that they had received orders to replace the 5th in Ballinrobe,
      Gorg, &c., &c. Is it to teach them to fight that they are sent hither? The
      Gentlemen of this County, we know, have been celebrated in the annals of
      duelling; but since the death of the eccentric Major O'S____, who used to
      frequent our Assemblies with a blunderbuss and a small sword slung over his arm,
      we did think that their fame in this respect was dying away. We should be sorry
      to see it revived; but if it should be necessary, there is still a spirit among
      us that will not brook impertinence; - an arrogant or overweening spirit was
      never sent to a better school.