!! Connaught Journal; July 1, 1824 "Galway Items"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14 6:47 AM
      Galway, Thursday, July 1, 1824

      DEATHS
      At the Grove, in Tuam, a few days since, at an advanced age, Mrs. Kirwan- a
      Lady universally known, esteemed and respected.
      In Middle-street, in this Town, on Wednesday morning, very generally and
      deservedly regretted, Mr. Adam Barlow, Painter and Glazier.

      CHANCERY
      In the matter of John Burke, } Pursuant to an
      Edmund Burke, and Anne } order made in this
      Burke, Minors. } matter, bearing date
      _____________________ }the 25th day of June
      instant, I will, on Thursday, the 15th day of July next, at the hour of one
      o'clock in the afternoon of said day, at my Chambers on the Inns quay, Dublin,
      set up and let to the highest and fairest bidder, that part of the Lands of
      KNOCKBRACK, situate in the barony of Tyaquin and County of Galway, containing in
      or about 110 acres, being part of said Minors' Estate, for three years by
      pending the minority of the Minor, John Burke- Dated 29th June, 1824.
      THOMAS BALL.
      John William Browne, Solicitor for said Minors, 16, Kildare-street, Dublin.

      EMPLOYMENT OF THE POOR
      A memorial from this town having been forwarded by James H. Burke, Esq.,
      Mayor, a few days ago, requesting that his Excellency the Lord Lieutenant would
      be graciously pleased to order the commencement of the public works in this
      county, his Worship the Mayor has received, by this evening's post, a most
      satisfactory answer. Mr. Gregory in his letter states, that the public sorks
      will be immediately commenced, the Lord Lieutenant having issued orders to that
      effect.- This is most gratifying news.

      SCARCITY.
      We have been informed this day, by Francis Blake, Esq. of Cregg, that the
      greatest possible distress prevails in his neighbourhood. We are persuaded that
      Commisary-General Luscombe, with his characteristic humanity, will afford the
      miserable sufferers immediate relief.
      Yesterday a party of the 5th Dragoon Guards arrived in Galway, and was the
      bearer, we understand, of some money for the distribution of Mr. Commissary
      Luscombe. They put up at the Clanricarde Hotel, and on their departure this
      morning they expressed themselves highly pleased at the accommodation they
      received- the forage, stabling, &c. being excellent.