!! Ballina Chronicle; Dec 26, 1849 "Queen a. Langley"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2004
      Wednesday, December 26, 1849

      QUEEN'S BENCH CHAMBERS - SATURDAY.
      The Queen A. Langley

      Mr. Martley, Q.C., applied for an order to admit the prisoner in this case,
      Dr. Charles Langley, to jail. He surrendered to take his trial on a charge of
      the manslaughter of his wife, and was committed to the gaol of Nenagh, where he
      was then confined.
      Mr. Baldwin, Q.C., opposed for the crown.
      Judge Moore- My difficulty is, that the grand jury have found bills for
      murder, after the coroner's jury found one for manslaughter, and the trail was
      postponed at the instance of the prisoner. When such is the case he cannot
      complain if he is kept in custody.
      Mr. Martley stated there were affidavits that the prisoner's health was
      very bad, and much affected by the confinement.
      Judge Moore- I will take home all the documents and read them over, but as
      at present advised I do not think I can grant the application- if I do the bail
      must be very sufficient.