!! Ballina Chronicle; Dec 26, 1849 "Mayo Items"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      Wednesday, December 26, 1849

      OUTRAGE.- On Friday night two very superior ewes in lamb, the property of Edward
      Howley, Esq., were killed on the lands at Carrahubbuk, near Ennisacrone, and the
      carcasses removed by some persons unknown. The sheep were worth, at least, £4
      each. We trust the police will be able to trace out the perpetrators of this
      outrage, and that due diligence will be used by all parties to prevent the
      increase of such malicious acts.

      MAYO PRISON- Anthony Ormsby, Esq., High Sheriff, on the recommendation of
      the Earl of Lucan, has appointed Mr. Davis R. Young, son of Mr. William Young of
      this town, to the Governorship of Mayo Prison, in the room of Mr. Gallogly,
      dismissed. We have no hesitation in saying that a better and more deserved
      selection could not possibly be made, as we are confident from Mr. D.R. Young's
      uniform steadiness, probity and good conduct, that he will do credit to the
      position to which he has been promoted. Mr. Young has entered on the duties of
      his office, and has already showed, by his exertion and attention, his
      capabilities for the discharge of the onerous functions of governor of a prison.
      Mr. R.J. Nixon has also been elected as Deputy-Governor-of which appointment we
      also have to express our appreciation.-- Mayo Constitution.