Battle of Poitiers 732 AD

  • E Macklin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2004
      Good morning everyone:

      With the movie "Arthur" finished I am wondering when Jerry Bruckheimer will do this Battle. The reason that I mention this battle is that apparently there was a large contingent [some 2000] of Dalriadans [Celts] and Milesians [Celtiberians], who sailed in the great Dalriadan fleet to Gaul up the Loire River to Tours to join the Duke of Armorica, the Duke de Saint Claire to join Charles Martel who was gathering his Christian forces to head off the Muslims led by Abderrahman, the Emir of Cordoba just coming up Spain across the Pyrenees and from a successful sacking of the great port of Bordeaux, each army with approximately with 50,000 men.
      Other than the fact that the Irish were fighting the Muslims, and they were again coming to the defense of Christendom. what really ticked the Irish off was the loss of their supply of wine from Bordeaux which was imported in great quantity into the great Irish trading ports of Cork, Waterford, Dublin and points north.
      The great clans of Ui Naill and Ui MacLochlainn were there along with the O'Donnells. Anyone else want to jump in on this piece of history ??

      Eric Macklin