!! Connaught Journal; June 17, 1824 "Misc Items"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, June 17, 1824

      MAGISTERIAL APPOINTMENTS
      The Lord Chancellor has been pleased to appoint the following Gentlemen to
      be Justices of the Peace and Quorum for the Counties as undernamed:-
      John Savatier, Esq., for the Queen's County; the Rev. Denis Mahony, for the
      County of Kerry; Col. Sir Robert Travers, for the County of Cork; Thos. A.W.
      Ensor, for the County of Donegal; Robert Goff, Esq. for the County of Roscommon;
      Charles Fawcet, Esq. for the Counties of Fermanagh and Donegal; Walter Joyce,
      Esq. for the County of Galway; and C. Ed John Nugent, Esq. for the County of
      Cavan.

      IRISH MINES- Notwithstanding the Standing Orders introduced by Lord
      Lauderdale, the Irish Mining Bill, thanks to Lord Harrowby-has been read a
      second time. The Standing Order was suspended at his Lordship's instance, and
      with scarcely any opposition the question passed. There is no doubt that the
      Bill will finally become a law-and a fair prospect will be opened to the
      industry and capital and what, we own gratifies much more, to a part at least of
      the Population of the Country. There will be some employment at any rate-and the
      very impetus given, will have the effect of producing more.

      The Rev. Mr. Hughes, Parish Priest of Moycullen, acknowledges to have
      received, without any solicitation from Mr. Catherall, of Chester, the sum of
      30s. on that humane Gentleman hearing that his parishioners were totally
      destitute of provisions.

      LINE OF ROAD FROM CRAUGHWELL TO LOUGHREA.
      A line of Road, considerably shortening the distance from Craughwell to
      Loughrea, and avoiding several hills, has been presented for, and granted by the
      Grand Jury at the last Assizes. The money is ready, and we are not aware of any
      obstacle existing to prevent it from being immediately commenced. We hope it is
      not necessary for us to urge the Gentlemen in that neighbourhood to exert
      themselves on the behalf of their poor and miserable tenantry, who, we are
      credibly informed, are little removed from starvation, owing to the present
      scarcity of provisions in that quarter.