!! Connaught Journal; June 10, 1824 "Scarcity of Potatoes"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2004
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, June 10, 1824

      SCARCITY OF POTATOES
      We have received several communications, both written and verbal,
      describing the miseries of the poor peasants in the extensive districts of
      Cunnemara. The lamentable state they are reduced to is most alarming; and unless
      their necessities are quickly relieved, starvation must be the inevitable
      consequence. It is very painful to us to be obliged to represent their destitute
      situation. If any thing can be done to ameliorate their state, we would suggest
      that useful labor should be preferred to giving them gratuitous relief. A
      Committee has been formed in the barony of Moycullen for the purpose of applying
      to the Lord Lieutenant for relief, and we hope their application will be
      attended with success.
      We have received a letter from a respectable Catholic Clergyman, dated
      Ballinahinch (Cunnemara), June 6th, which contains the following dreadful
      announcement: "One-fourth of the inhabitants of this parish are starving. I
      pledge myself to you, that they are worse than in 1822."