!! Ballina Chronicle; Dec 19, 1849 "Exiled Convicts"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
      Wednesday, December 19, 1849

      THE EXILED STATE CONVICTS
      On board the Swift, off the Cape,
      September 12th, 1849.
      "We have at length, after two weeks knocking about got thus far; and I
      seize the first moment of breathing time to give you a short sketch of our
      voyage, &c. On the evening of the 11th July, we lost of the old Head of Kinsale,
      and on the 12th and 15th, were tossed about very considerably in the Bay of
      Biscay. We then passed along the coast of Spain and Portugal, and on the 18th
      sighted Maderia, with the surrounding islands. We then came close to the
      Canaries, and Cape Verd Island, holding close on by S. Western coast of Africa,
      as far as Sierra Leone, whence we struck to S.W. in consequence of unfavorable
      wind, and crossed the line between 25 and 30 degrees long, on the 11th August.
      From that we were driven over towards the coast of South America, nearly as far
      as Rio de Janrio, from whence we got a favourable gale, which will, I trust,
      bring us safely to anchor in Simmon's Bay tomorrow. On the 22d August we were
      put on short allowance of water, which, after cooking, &c., left us just a
      "gill" each, for washing and drinking. I never knew the value of fresh water
      till now. It has been very indifferent all along, but to be put on short
      allowance as well is very hard indeed. I need not tell you that the weather has
      been exceedingly not up till within the last four weeks; but we are now getting
      a little into the cold; this month counting as the month of March with you.
      With regard to our accommodation, the Captain read for us his instruction
      on the day we lost sight of Ireland. They were briefly enumerated under the
      following heads. We were allowed to be on deck two at a time, from sun rise till
      sun set; and have a marine placed on guard at our cabin door. We were to have
      cocoa and dry biscuit for breakfast, and tea and biscuit; these allowances, with
      two gallons of wine each, for the entire voyage, form a bill of fare. We are
      looking forward, however, for some better modifications on our arrival at the
      Cape. We are all in excellent health, and just the same spirits as you used to
      see us at Richmond. For my part I was never better. The sea voyage has much
      improved me.
      Simmons Bay, 18th.
      We got in here last evening expecting to remain a few days to get washing
      done and a few little necessaries, but in this hope we have been disappointed.
      We are ordered off at 12 o'clock to day and no communication allowed with the
      shore. In fact the officers of the ship are as much prisoners in this regard as
      we are. There is a regular commotion among the inhabitants against making this a
      convict settlement; in fact they won't submit to it.---Your's.
      T.B. M'MANUS.

    • acfullam goeke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
        I haven't received any since this one. What's up?