!! Ballina Chronicle; Dec 12, 1849

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      Wednesday, December 12, 1849

      SHOCKING CASE
      A man named Rooneen, residing with his daughter, at Glenade, near
      Manorhamilton, had a glandered horse in his possession. He refused to put the
      animal to death, though his neighbours strongly remonstrated with him of the
      extreme danger, and the risk he ran. It seems whilst attending the animal he
      imbibed the virus of the disease and has suffered great tortures; melancholy
      also to tell, his poor daughter, in attendance on her father, received the
      contagion and both are now, alas, pitiable spectacles! This dreadful disease is
      so unusual amongst men, always commands our deepest sympathies. The agonizing
      pains, generally followed by death, and the loathsome character of its symptoms,
      inspiring horror and dread in the beholder, shows what extreme caution should be
      used for fear of its dreadful contamination. The decease of the two unfortunate
      persons is hourly expected.-- Sligo Guardian.

      FLAX CULTIVATION IN IRELAND - THE IRISH AGRICULTURAL AND INDUSTRIAL JOURNAL
      "We have been informed, on, we believe, unquestionable authority, that Mr.
      Dargan, the enterprising railway contractor, has taken upwards of 2000 acres of
      land at Kildinan, near Rathcormac, from our county representative, Mr. Edmund B.
      Roche, with a view to the introduction of flax culture in this county. Mr.
      Dargan, we understand, is about immediately to commence the draining and
      subsoiling of the land, and means not only to cultivate flax extensively, but to
      erect flax mills and all other requisite machinery, on the most approved system,
      and in short, to establish the nucleus of the linen manufacture amongst us.
      This, is, indeed, most gratifying intelligence and will be learned with sincere
      pleasure by every one interested in the prosperity of the South of
      Ireland.--Packet.