!! Ballina Chronicle; Aug 23, 1849

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2003
      Wednesday, August 23, 1849

      MARRIED.
      In the Church of Castlebar, by the Rev. W.G. Jackson of Westport, Arthur
      Thomas, Esq. of Leighlin Bridge, Vice Guardian of the Union of Castlebar, to
      Jeannette, eldest daughter of John C. Larminie, Esq. of Spencer Park, Castlebar.

      DIED
      At Killala, on the 15th instant, of cholera, John Kirkwood, Esq. The loss
      of this estimable Magistrate and Merchant is deeply regretted by all who knew
      him.
      At Killala, of cholera, the beloved wife of the Rev. William Bourke.
      In this town, on the 11th instant, of cholera, Charles Atkinson, Esq.,
      coroner. This gentleman was much esteemed by all to whom he was known. and has
      left behind him a young and interesting family to mourn his loss.
      In this town on the 16th instant, after a protracted illness, the beloved
      and amiable wife of M.H. Devlin, Esq., M.D. At the same time, two of her
      children, who were interred along with her.
      In this town on the 9th instant, much and deservedly regretted, the beloved
      wife of Dr. M'Nair.
      In this town, on the 9th instant, of cholera, the beloved wife of Francis
      Knox, Esq., deeply regretted.
      In this town, after her confinement, Winifred, the beloved wife of Mr.
      Thomas Harte, Master of the Workhouse.
      On Monday, the 13th instant, at the Vicarage, Lacken, Helen, the beloved
      wife of the Rev. George Bermingham.
      In Ballinrobe, on the 17th instant, suddenly, in the 83d year of his age,
      Thomas Gildea, Esq. Clerk of the Peace for this county.
      August 10th at Killanley Glebe, aged 81 years, the Rev. James Burrows,
      Vicar of the united parishes of Castleconnor and Kilglass.
      In this town on the 18th instant, Mary, relic of the late George Rogers,
      Esq. She was sustained throughout a protracted illness by the consolation of the
      Gospel and her end was peace.
      Of cholera, at his residence in Sligo, on Tuesday last, Thomas Little,
      Esq., M.D. L.L.D. Surgeon of the County Infirmary. For upwards of 30 years he
      enjoyed, deservedly, the highest position as physician and surgeon in this
      province.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2003
        Wednesday, August 23, 1849

        (From our Crossmolina Correspondent)
        CROSSMOLINA, Aug, 14- This town continues in a state of slight commotion;
        not that the cases of cholera have been numerous, but that the malignant nature
        of some of them, together with the filthy state of the cabins, which the
        patients inhabit, almost defy the skill of the physician or the care of the
        nurse-tender.
        Famine has done much to introduce this fearful disease into Crossmolina and
        to jeopard the life of the unhappy sufferer. Oh! I have witnessed scenes!-
        scenes, such as I have often read in the "newspapers," but to which I never
        before gave credence. Scenes calculated to harrow the feelings of the most
        hard-hearted. Scenes, to enlist the sympathy of the beholder. Scenes, to exact
        from humanity (the only wealth of the poor man) the tribute of a tear!
        I have seen man in his glory-I beheld him not many days since, in the full
        enjoyment of rude health. I came again- I found him prostrate in the grave of
        the "Fell Destroyer." How true it is then, that ," In the midst of life we are
        in death;" and how grateful should we, who survive, be to that Great and Good
        Being, whose mercy bids us live-live on a little longer, but who whispers,
        "repent."
        I have seen the victim of destitution, stretched on the damp earth of his
        hut, writhing in agony; no hand stretched forth with friendly aid-no food to
        sustain his sinking frame-no heat to invigorate his numbed limbs. I have seen
        him freed from his dependence on his fellow man resign his soul into the hands
        of Him from whom he received it; have seen him afterwards borne to his last
        resting place, unwept, unmourned, unhonoured, unpitied, unattended.
        Such is a faint but strictly faithful outline of the deaths which (thank
        God out of thirty cases comprised only six) occurred in Crossmolina. Aye, when
        man has the "will" would that he were divested of the "power" "To make his
        fellow mourn." Had timely precautions been resorted to, I have not the least
        hesitation to say, that some lives would have been saved. I speak as advisedly
        and as confidently as I do publicly.
        It is true, that on Friday evening last, the Court-house had been fitted up
        for the receptions of patients, and that beds and bedding were sent from the
        hospital for the patients; but they were arrested on the way by the Canaile and
        the attempt to settle them there, on that evening, proved abortive. On the
        following morning another attempt met with a similar fate. So end the matter for
        the present.
        Now I shall instance two cases to illustrate the above assertion:- Dr.
        M'Nair, who had a very severe attack, not only survives it, but is fast
        recovering. A Sub-Constable, Martin, (as had a case as had occurred here) was
        attacked on Thursday evening last; at four o'clock the following morning he was
        out of danger, and is now walking about.
        CROSSMOLINA- August 21- The Hearld of Fear and of desolation has
        disappeared. Cholera is extinct; having bequeathed to the potato crop its
        pestilential influence. We have had here, in all, thirty-nine cases and fourteen
        deaths. There are four remaining in hospital, but they are convalescent. I have
        no doubt that many lives would have been saved had an hospital been established
        at the commencement of the disease, but the politic "People" successfully
        opposed its occupancy by the patients for some days. Thus has human life been
        the sacrifice of ignorance and inhumanity. On Thursday last Captain Hamilton
        came out from Ballina and was met by E. Orme, Esq. the constabulary were called
        out, but fortunately had an occasion to act; the gentlemen alluded to having by
        their remonstrances, prevailed on the crowd to disperse were permitted quietly
        to effect the object which brought them together, viz. the establishment of an
        hospital. Ever since cholera has been on the decline, and we are now, than God,
        fairly rid of it.