!! Connaught Journal; May 31, 1824 "Consecration of Burial Ground"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2004
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Monday, May 31, 1824

      CONSECRATION OF A PUBLIC BURIAL GROUND.
      The mode in which the new Burial Act has operated will soon appear
      generally. On Monday, the 17th inst., the Right Rev. Dr. Doyle, R.C., Bishop of
      Kildare and Leighlin, consecrated a Catholic Burial Ground near Naas. The
      object, as our Correspondent, the Rev. Gerald Doyle, Parish Priest of Naas,
      observes, is to prevent the necessity of complying with the odious clauses of
      Mr. Plunkett's Bill. This is the first Burial Ground consecrated since the
      enactment of that Bill, and notwithstanding the difficulties and delays already
      experienced in carrying the objects of the Catholic Association into effect,
      there is no doubt, we believe, that it will be universally followed.
      The ceremony is described by our Reverend Correspondent as highly imposing.
      Though the morning was wet and unfavourable, the concourse of people was very
      great. Among them were several Protestants and some Protestant Clergymen. "The
      number of crosses, the lighted tapers, the singing of Psalms, the religious
      feelings of the multitude, the Clergy, as well as the ceremony itself, made the
      scene extremely awful. The ceremony continued about an hour. After the
      consecrating, the Bishop told the multitude to repair to the Chapel, and that he
      would there explain the nature of the ceremony- he did so, for about 30 minutes,
      with his usual ability, to the high gratification of a very crowded
      auditory."-Dublin Evening Post.