!! Ballina Chronicle; Aug 8, 1849 "Cholera in Killala"

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2003
      Wednesday, August 8, 1849

      Our Killala correspondent is not correct in all his statements, but because
      of a few sentenced in his letter we are induced to publish it:-
      TO THE EDITOR OF THE BALLINA CHRONICLE.
      Sir- While you continue to write so elaborately, as you have done in
      thelast number of your paper, as to the non-existence of cholera, I shall
      furnish you with the various occurrences that may arise from its existence in
      this neighbourhood.
      It is, alas, too true, that it has taken a strong hold of Killala, and that
      the afflicting arm of the Almighty is spreading the disease at either ends of
      this small town with fearful rapidity; up to the present we have had seventeen
      deaths, and from the apathy that seems to exist in those whose business it is to
      afford shelter for the sick as well as the poor, I apprehend that many more will
      occur before a place will be provided where suitable treatment may be
      administered.
      While other places have been favoured with receptacles for the sick,
      Killala has been up to the present neglected, although paying its quota of
      rent-its poor rate and public cess- fully equal to any electoral division in
      this every way unfortunate union.
      The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, to whom this town belongs, since the ever
      to be lamented death of the late Bishop, refused to give a house which was built
      by public subscription in '32, when cholera first made its appearance in this
      country, and which would have been leased to the inhabitants, had the Bishop
      lived a week longer, for a less sum than £5 from May last until November. The
      Poor Law officials, with their usual economy, could not think of further
      embarrassing the union by allowing this exorbitant demand; and the would be
      Board of Health-the acting members of whom are so closely connected with the
      present poor law business of the day, as to preclude the possibility of
      differing in opinion- so that the rolling of the ball from one office to
      another, for the last three months, has placed human life at a discount, despite
      the unremitting attention of our humane and efficient medical superintendent,
      Dr. Nelson, whose efforts day and night are unceasing in doing all he can, going
      from house to house, with his assistant Dr. Townly, dispensing the necessary
      medicine and advice.
      I fondly hope this timely relief will be at once afforded and an hospital
      established where medical attendance can be administered with its proper effect.
      I am, Mr. Editor, your obedient servant.
      A SUBSCRIBER.
      Killala, 6th August, 1849.
      P.S.- Since writing the above I find that the £5 will be given by the
      Guardians, and that the hospital will be given by the Commissioners.
      Killala, 7th August, 1849.