!! Connaught Journal; Mar 8, 1824

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2003
      Galway, Monday, March 8, 1824

      In 1487, a dreadful war was carried on in Ulster, between the Chieftain
      O'Neal and the neighbouring Chieftain Tyrconnell. This war had nothing more
      considerable for its immediate cause, than the pride of O'Neal who demanded that
      his enemy should recognize his authority, by paying tribute. The laconic style
      in which it was made and rejected would not have disgraced a nobler contest:-
      "Send me tribute, or else-"
      was the message of O'Neal. To which was returned, with the same princely
      "I owe you none, and if-"

      Police Office, College-street- An interesting case came on before the
      Magistrates of this Office yesterday, the facts of which were shortly as
      follows: A complaint was preferred by Mr. David Lithgow, M.D. against Laurence
      Clinch, Esq. It appeared that Mr. Clinch had called upon Mr. Lithgow, at his
      house in French-street, for the purpose of ascertaining whether an extremely
      offensive and personal pointed paragraph in the last number of The Antidote was
      written by him, and, if not, by himself, whether he would give up the author?
      Mr. Lithgow declined giving any kind of satisfaction, on which he was instantly
      satisfied with several blows of a stick. A summons was subsequently issued from
      the office for the assault; and the parties having attended, Mr. Lithgow
      preferred his complaint. Mr. Clinch having been called on to reply, briefly,
      candidly, and determinedly admitted the charge, without expressing the least
      regret for the course he had taken. He declared that he would make no
      concession. The consequence was, that informations were taken against Mr. Clinch
      and he entered into bail to abide his trial before the Recorder.--Freeman's

      It is quite foolish to pretend as the Orange Prints have still the
      confidence to do, that Munster is not subsiding into tranquility. The last
      papers from the South do not supply a single paragraph in the way of facts,
      which we should deem it necessary to transcribe. That terrible insurrection act
      appears, at length, effectually, to have discharged its duty. There has been in
      Cork a Session under this act, in which one man was found guilty of being out
      after sunset-all the rest were acquitted. These truths, we know, are quite
      distressing to our Ultras-but they are truths upon which we congratulate the
      country. If, as we are tolerably certain, the peace of Ireland shall continue
      during the spring and summer, the partisans of the Orange system, and even the
      Grand Lodge itself must find out some other measure to annoy Lord
      Wellesley.--D.E. Post.