!! Connaught Journal; May 20, 1824 "State of the Country"

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 5:07 AM
      THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL
      Galway, Thursday, May 20, 1824

      CO. MONAGHAN
      A young man, a Catholic, of the name of Bernard M'Mahon, has been killed at
      Ballybay, by a fellow of the name of Gray. The particulars which have been
      communicated to us are of a most barbarous kind. The poor youth left behind him
      a widowed mother, whose principal support he was, as well as of six young
      brothers and sisters. The murderer is a Tithe Proctor- a person, our informant
      states, of a ferocious character, and a sort of leader among the Orangemen.
      Although there is a Constabulary at Ballybay, neither the homicide nor his
      brother, who aided him in the act, were apprehended. For this purpose, a party
      of the military were found necessary, and the two were at length apprehended,
      and, on the warrant of Mr. Hamilton, lodged in Monaghan Gaol.

      At or near Clogher Francis M'Gaugy was murdered by some persons, who are
      stated in our communication to be Orangemen; and his wife (who was in company)
      had a very narrow escape, after being most brutally beaten by the ruffians.
      M'Gaugy lived for a few days, and gave the names of the murderers; but it should
      seem the Magistrates refused to take the information of the widow. One of the
      fellows fled, another was apprehended, and a third surrendered himself; but the
      three are now at large, and busied in their usual avocations.

      CO. SLIGO
      At Ballyshannon, on Monday se'nnight, a poor lad, who was in company with
      his father, was shot dead by a "Peeler," as it would appear by our letter, in
      sport. After several days a show of investigation took place, but the Orangemen,
      we are told, was drafted off to Fermanagh and there is no likelihood at present
      that he will be brought to justice.