!! Ballina Chronicle; Nov 28, 1849 "Pauper Emigration"

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      Wednesday, November 28, 1849

      PAUPER EMIGRATION
      We feel great pleasure in being able to lay before our readers the
      following very interesting documents. It is to be regretted that similar
      facilities do not now exist for drafting a greater number of our young and
      intelligent paupers to the colonies. Surely the complete success of the
      experiment should stimulate to increased exertions for the furtherance of this
      scheme, though the expense may be a little more than was at first calculated
      upon:-
      Poor Law Commission Office.
      Dublin, 23d Nov., 1849.
      Sirs- I am directed by the Commissioners for administering the the Laws for
      Relief of the Poor in Ireland, to the Ballina Union, that the Commissioners have
      received a communication from the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners
      from which it appears that the orphan girls who emigrated from that union to
      "Port Phillip", in September 1848, by the ship, "Lady Kenaway," conducted
      themselves with great propriety during the voyage, and speedily obtained
      situations in the Colony, with good wages; and that their subsequent conduct has
      been spoken of in satisfactory terms.
      I am at the same time to enclose an extract from a return enclosed in the
      communication which the Commissioners have received from the Emigration Office,
      showing the disposal of the girls on their arrival in the Colony.
      By order of the Commissioners,
      W. STANLEY, Sec.

      To the Clerk of the Ballina Union,
      The following are the names of the emigrats; the names and residences of
      the person by whom they are employed; and the rate of salary:-
      Biddy Browne; Mr. J. Bury, Melbourne; housemaid. Terms not fixed.
      Mary Carden; Mr. J. Kerr, Melbourne; housemaid, 8l. a year and rations.
      Mary Cogan; Mr. G. Rubstron, Melbourne; housemaid, 14l. a year and rations.
      Hanah Coyle; Mr. Caliel, Melbourne; housemaid, 14l. a year and rations.
      Mary Ann Davis; (M. Depot.)
      Biddy Duffy; Mrs. M'Kay, Melbourne; house servant, 11l. a year and rations.
      Biddy Fallon; Mr. G. Groves, Melbourne; house servant, 10l. a year and
      rations.
      Bridget Gillespie; Mr. D. Houston, Melbourne; house servant, 9l. a year and
      rations.
      Esther Golden; Mr. J. Harrood, Melbourne; house servant, terms not fixed.
      Catherine Gordon; Mrs. Muir, Melbourne; house servant, terms not fixed.
      Margaret Hughes; Mr. Lee, Geelong; house servant, terms not fixed.
      Mary Knox; Mrs. Pritchard, Melbourne; house servant, 10l. a year and
      rations.
      Catherine M'Dermott; Mrs. E. Griffiths, Melbourne; house servant, 11l. a
      year and rations.
      Mary M'Hale; Mrs. C. Brophy, Melbourne; house servant, 8l. a year and
      rations.
      Biddy M'Clean; Mr. T. H. Sullivan, Melbourne; house servant, 11l. a year
      and rations.
      Elizabeth M'Namara; Mr. J. Bullen, Meni Creek; house servant, 10l. a year
      and rations.
      Mary M'Namara; Mr. J. Britten, Meni Creek; nurse maid, 6l. a year and
      rations.
      Mary O'Hara; Mrs. Norman, Melbourne; house servant, 12l. a year and
      rations.
      Mary Roan; Mr. T.A. Woods, Melbourne; house servant, terms not fixed.
      Mary Roland; Mrs. Cahnon, Melbourne; house servant, 8l. a year and rations.
      Rosey Rourke; Mr. M. Smith, Melbourne; house servant, 8l. a year and
      rations.
      Catherine Staunton; Mr. S. Beautreaux, Melbourne; nurse maid, 10l. a year
      and rations.
      Mary Staunton; Mr. D. Young, Collingwood, nurse maid, 9l. a year.
      Bridget Tighe; Mr. A. White, Melbourne; house maid, 11l. a year with
      rations.

    • Susan Patterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
        Dear Cathy,
        I am unsure if you are reading from the original docs! If so Meni Creek
        will almost certainly be Merri Creek which is a tributary of one of
        Melbourne's two main rivers !
        I still love your contribs !
        Susan

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2004
          Susan,

          Thanks for your tip and you are probably correct about it supposed to be Merri
          Creek. I am totally unfamiliar with geography of the area over yonder (or is it
          down yonder).
          I am transcribing from original source (I buy the microfilm myself) and reviewed
          the article again since the print is very small and my eyes are very old (well,
          not that old) and - it does say Meni Creek in all instances.
          And glad you enjoy the articles.
          Me too!