!! Connaught Journal; May 17, 1824 "Galway Items"

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27 5:03 AM
      Galway, Monday, May 17, 1824

      FORT-HILL
      We have repeatedly adverted to the disgraceful state of the road to
      Fort-Hill, which, from its leading to the burial-ground, and a place much
      frequented for walking, in consequence of its healthy situation, should be kept
      in good repair. At present it is impassable, and we are much astonished that a
      Presentment was not sent in for at the last Assizes.- As we are on this subject,
      we cannot too strongly deprecate the shameful conduct of those who are in the
      daily habit of destroying and tearing down the walls that enclose the cemetery.
      There should, at least, be more deference paid to the memories of the dead, than
      thus, wantonly, to tear down the walls that preserve their remains from being
      disturbed or exhibited to public view by pigs, or other animals.- We are
      informed that since the demolition of the walls, it has been the constant
      practice of interring bodies outside the boundaries. This is highly improper, as
      it is more than probable that the Landlord, however humane or indulgent his
      disposition, will be obliged to disinter those remains, to prevent a recurrence
      of he practice, on an intrusion of his property.

      NEW ESTABLISHMENT
      Wollen, Linen, Hosiery, and Hat Warehouse,
      Main-Guard, Galway
      J.R. O'FLAHERTY
      Acquaints his Friends and the Public, that he has just returned from
      Dublin, where he has purchased an assortment of every article in the above Line.
      The GOODS being selected with every care and attention, and purchased after
      the repeal of the duties, enables him to dispose of them on fair terms, for
      Ready Money only.- Every article having the selling price affixed to it, no
      deviation whatever will be made from this rule.
      May 17, 1824