!! Ballina Chronicle; Nov 21, 1849 "Mayo Items"

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2004
      Wednesday, November 21, 1849

      THE STREETS OF BALLINA
      It is desirable that the guardians of this union would follow the example
      of the Castlebar board in passing a resolution for the employment of some of the
      able-bodied paupers in cleaning the streets of this town. On many occasions we
      called upon the late vice-guardians to afford the rate-payers some little return
      for their money, but their masters, the commissioners, would not permit any
      paupers to be systematically engaged in removing nuisances from the streets. We
      suppose the elected guardian must submit to the same controul or walk out of the
      office forthwith. Here is the secret, let what will be said; and whatever
      gentlemen have the management of an union they must do as they are bid. But we
      would be glad to see the guardians act somewhat independently and test the
      powers of the Poor Law Commissioners in more respects than that which we have
      now under consideration. It is not necessary for us to enlarge upon the
      exceedingly filthy state of our town, the offensive nuisances which every where
      present themselves, and the different irregularities and obstruction in the
      streets. The guardians must be fully aware of all this, and why, we ask, in the
      name of common sense and justice is not some attempt made to bring out the
      able-bodied paupers from their snug corners in the workhouse and make them work
      a little for the food and comfort they are enjoying at the expense of the rate
      payers? This, too, would be remunerative employment, for the value of the manure
      collected would be more than sufficient to support those daily engaged in
      gathering it, and will be required if the design of renting some land for pauper
      labour be carried out. We trust that this subject will be brought before the
      consideration of the board at their next meeting.

      THE OLD ABBEY - After repeated representations of the unfitness of the Old
      Abbey in Ardnaree being used as a burial ground, a sealed order from the Central
      Board of Health directing its enclosure for the prevention of further interments
      was issued six or eight weeks since, but, seeing that no steps have been yet
      taken towards the carrying out of this important object, we now call the
      attention of the Board of Guardians to the subject.

      BALLINA PETTY SESSIONS- Captain Atkinson was the only magistrate in
      attendance yesterday. After hearing a few cases out of the civil book he
      adjourned the court.

    • Rhonda Jordan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2004
        "...why, we ask, in the name of common sense and justice is not some attempt made to bring out the able-bodied paupers from their snug corners in the workhouse and make them work a little for the food and comfort they are enjoying at the expense of the rate payers?"

        Oh my word, were they being sarcastic? I hope...?

        Thanks for the transcripts, Cathy. They are fascinating!

        Rhonda