!! Connaught Journal; Mar 8, 1824 "Galway Items"

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
      Galway, Monday, March 8, 1824

      NOTICE.
      Take Notice that I, the Undersigned, have surrendered myself to, and am now
      in the custody of the Governor of the Courts of Galway Prison, for the alleged
      charge of the Murder of EDMOND BERMINGHAM, which took place at Curbally, in the
      county of Galway, on the seventh of September eighteen hundred and twenty-three.
      JOHN COYNE.
      To the Right Honourable the Attorney-General for Ireland and all others
      concerned.
      --
      COUNTY OF GALWAY.
      TO BE LET.
      From the first day of May next, for such Term of Years as it may be agreed
      upon, the Lands of
      CLOONAHANE,
      As lately in the possession of John Fahy, containing about 150 Acres with a
      Large Tract of Pasturable BOG.- Said Lands lie within three miles of Headford,
      near Loughcorrib.
      Proposals to be received by W.H. Carter, Esq. Newpark; Blackrock, Dublin and
      by John Kilkelly, Esq. Messfort, Tuam.
      March 8, 1824
      --
      TO BE LET,
      From the Twenty-fifth MARCH instant, or the INTEREST SOLD.
      The House in Back-street.
      Where Anthony Martin resides,
      For Particulars, enquire at said House.
      Galway, March 8th.
      --
      COUNTY OF GALWAY
      TO BE LET
      From the first of May next, and immediate possession given, if required.
      THE FOLLOWING LANDS,
      in the Barony of Clonmacknoon and Parish of Clontouskerl:-
      The Farm of BOGPARK, about Eighty Acres, on which are two good Farm Houses
      and Offices.
      Part of the lands of LOUGHTUSKE, Fifty Acres.
      LOUGHANBRANE, Thirty-three Acres.
      There is a considerable Tract of Bog and Waste attached to those Lands.
      Seventy Acres of the Lands of CARROWKEEL, there is a new House and Stable
      on this Division; this Farm would be well adapted by the Dairy Business, (a
      thing unknown in this part of the Country) being but four miles from
      Ballinalsoe, and one-and-a-half from the New Line of Canal to that town.
      All of the above Lands are of a superior description, well watered and
      plentifully supplied with Turbary and are well known to return from twelve to
      fourteen successive crops; they lie about four miles from Ballinasloe, and two
      of the New Line of Canal.
      Proposals will be received by A.J. McDermott, Esq. Ramore, Loughrea, where
      they are to be Sold, and now ready for transplanting, a few thousand ASH, ELM,
      BEECH and OAK;-they are from ten to fifteen feet high and would be most
      profitably applied in hedge, row planting, being completely out of the reach of
      Cattle and strong and well-rooted.
      Ramore, March 8, 1824.
      --
      TO BE LET,
      From the first of November last, or the 25th of March instant, the HOUSE,
      OFFICES and WELL WOODED DEMESNE of
      PROSPECT HOUSE,
      Situate in a Sporting Country, within half a mile of the Shannon, distant from
      Eyrecourt one mile; Banagher, five; and Portumna, six; - the Offices are in good
      repair, and all slated. Attached to the House is an excellent Garden and an
      extensive Orchard in full bearing; the Ground is in good heart, with some Winter
      Graze.
      Application to be made (if by letter, post paid) to George May O'Malley,
      Esq. Prospect-House, Eyrecourt; or to Charles O'Malley, Esq. Hawthorne Lodge,
      Castlebar.
      The Furniture and Stock to be Sold by Auction, if not taken by the Tenant
      at a valuation.
      March 8, 1824.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2003
        Galway, Monday, March 8, 1824

        THE MINING COMPANY
        We believe there is no other portion of the Kingdom which would give a
        wider extent to the above Patriotic Company, than the County of Galway. There is
        scarcely any part of it which does not possess some peculiar advantage in this
        particular, but more especially that long and neglected line of Country,
        Cunnemara. In that place has been lately discovered a rich and valuable Quarry
        of Marble of a light green colour, which is susceptible of the finest polish,
        and can be wrought to great perfection. We have seen a few chimney-pieces made
        from it, and we have no hesitation in stating it as our opinion, that it is
        equal to (perhaps exceeds) the produce of any other Quarry in this or the Sister
        Kingdom. Yet, we fear that it may lay by in rude and useless blocks, unless it
        shall fall within the inspection and patronage of this useful Company, whose
        attention we earnestly direct to this source of wealth and happiness to the poor
        people of a miserable and peaceable district. In Arran, too, there are, we hear,
        strong indications of a Mine of Iron; and, indeed, all along the Western Coast
        we have little doubt but much good might be effected in this particular.

        £2000 ASSESSMENT OF THE TOWN OF GALWAY.
        We regret extremely that the Board of First Fruits has not thought fit to
        grant either as a Loan or otherwise the sum applied for by a late Vestry Meeting
        of this place, for the repairs of St. Nicholas's Church-not even although the
        application had been warmly seconded by his Grace the Archbishop of Tuam. Thus,
        then must the Inhabitants of this place be assessed with the ENORMOUS SUM of TWO
        THOUSAND POUNDS, "Public money flying about in all directions and not one
        farthing alighting in Galway!!!"

        NUISANCE
        We are quite surprised that some attention has not been paid to the
        disgraceful and disgusting state of the new street opposite His Majesty's
        Custom-House. When the street was opened, and when the old houses were taken
        down, the public were emphatically told that the opening of this pass-way would
        convey into that part of the town a wholesome current of air which would conduce
        much to the health of the inhabitants. This was all fair and straight forward,
        to be sure- but which of the tow will the public prefer--having the old ruin
        standing, or suffering the present "new street" to being contagion into their
        families, and, perhaps, visit that part of the town with a representation of
        those melancholy scenes, the bare recollection of which makes one shudder. We
        have no doubt but the worthy Port Collector must have observed and remonstrated
        in the proper quarter about this filthy place; and yet Gentlemen will write that
        the town is "excellently paved."- Truly and indeed the Gentlemen from the Board
        who occasionally visit the Custom-House on his Majesty's duty, must have a
        curious idea of Galway taste after viewing this part of our "ancient town." But
        what can the good people do? Why, nothing at present.