!! Connaught Journal; May 13, 1824 "Duel"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2004
      Galway, Thursday, May 13, 1824

      AFFAIR OF HONOR- TENTH HUSSARS- In consequence of a message delivered from
      Mr. Battier (late Cornet in the 10th Hussars) to the Marquis of Londonderry, and
      subsequent arrangements, the parties met yesterday a few miles from town. Mr.
      Battier was attended by Colonel Woodhouse, the Marquis of Londonderry's second
      was Sir H. Hardinge, Bart, M.P. The pistols having been delivered, the parties
      took their ground and the word being given to fire, Mr. Battier (as we are now
      informed) snapped his pistol, which either missed fire, or flashed in the pan.
      The Noble Marquis reserved his fire, and desired that Mr. Battier should be
      furnished with another pistol, which the latter Gentleman refused.-- Courier.

      DUEL BETWEEN THE MARQUIS OF LONDONDERRY AND MR. BATTIER.- The circumstances
      respecting this recontre have been very erroneously stated in a Morning Paper.
      We are fully apprised of the whole transaction, but it is too delicate a matter
      for us to communicate at present. The time of action has also been mistaken. It
      took place near Battersea, at two o'clock, on Thursday last. Neither of the
      parties were wounded, and we understand were far from separating, as stated, in
      amity.-- Sun.